FIVE

School felt strange today.

Benjamin had to get up extra early to walk to school, but he still hadn't brushed his hair properly like he wanted to. The only thing that felt different in his morning routine was finally wearing his own clothes.

When he arrived, he could feel everyone's stares on the back of his head. It was more prominent than before. They probably heard about him drifting away from the group yesterday. He wouldn't doubt it. Maybe Emma had spread it around and told everyone not to get too close to him.

During first period, Benjamin sat away from Marcus, Emma and Blythe. He'd always sit in front of them, but he chose to sit further away.

Emma crossed her arms. "Well, what do we do now?"

Marcus averted his gaze. He said nothing. Emma scowled.

"I'm talking to you, Marcus. This is like middle school all over again. Is that what you want?"

"Of course not."

"Then we should-"

"There's no reason for us to do anything," Marcus interrupted. "Just let him be."

With great reluctance, Emma followed what he said and merely watched Benjamin try to go on with his day like a hawk. Blythe would feel strange not having the student by their side, but seeing Emma not talking to Benjamin, she eventually decided to do the same and was quick to gossip to Cameron about what happened. Honestly, Cameron didn't really give a shit and thought to go and hang out with Benjamin since this was his only chance to.

He would've gone if it weren't for Marcus pulling him back in completely. He kept the group quiet and made them watch, not doing anything else.

Turns out, they were right about Benjamin not being able to handle a day without them. Everywhere he went, Benjamin got silently ridiculed and was laughed upon since he was still seen as the group's dog. Hardly anyone wanted to talk to him, but those who did were mainly the cheer leaders and some of the athletes.

Shaye tried sticking around with Benjamin since she didn't think of him as a freak like the others did, but when Blythe came around and briefly talked to her, Shaye and the girls immediately left Benjamin's side and warily watched the student instead. Benjamin gave up during lunch and was somewhat glad he at least prepared himself for this.

The biggest problem was where to sit. It should be an easy choice, but after spending years with people who chose for him, Benjamin found himself flustered as he walked around the cafeteria with his lunch box. No table was empty, so it was hard for him to sit alone.

"He looks like a lost puppy," Cameron grieved at the sight of Benjamin trying to find a place to sit and eat. He turned to Marcus and glared. "Fuck this shit. I don't even care about being your friend anymore. I'll go and be Benjamin's instead and there's nothing you can do about-"

"Turn around and eat your food."

"Yes, sir." Grumpily, he followed Marcus' order and picked at his lunch.

Emma sighed, toying around with her milk cartoon. "I want Benny..." She complained loudly. "I don't even want to punish him anymore. How am I supposed to live now?"

"Finish your food," Blythe quietly commented from the side. "Don't waste it."

"I don't want to eat it anymore... Cameron, you can eat my lunch." Emma shoved her tray to the side. "Marcus, what are we doing here? Let's just take him back."

"I told you to keep watching. Is it too much to ask?"

"But he looks sad!"

Marcus stopped eating and looked up, exasperated. "If you don't want him acting out again, then it's best to leave him alone for a while. Be patient."