Tanha Dil/ Lonely Heart

Start from the beginning

She couldn't bring herself to call him as he clearly didn't want to speak to her.

She couldn't speak to her sister or parents about it, as she didn't want to cause any problems in di's wedding. She could clearly see how much they loved each other.

**********

Her family had started noticing how both their daughter's relation with their respective grooms were so different from each other. Dipali received gifts, flowers and calls from Sultan on a daily basis while Madhu received none.

Madhu knew that her family was also getting worried. But she acted as if she didn't notice it.

"Madhu..." Dipali walks to her one afternoon.

"Yeah, di?" Madhu turns to her as she faked a smile.

"I spoke to Sultan." Dipali starts guiltily and hesitantly.

Seeing the guilt on her, Madhu immediately knew what she would have spoke to him about. She quickly looks away, her smile dropping. "You shouldn't have."

"I didn't want to interfere. But Madhu, if it was the other way around, you would have also done the same." Dipali gently tells her.

Madhu nods realizing that was true.

"Sultan told me that Rishabh is very reserved and doesn't speak much. He has always been like this. He is always silent. He is a man of few words. Sultan swore to me that Rishabh wants to marry you. No one is forcing him." Dipali tells her.

Madhu nods, feeling a little relieved though her heart was still a little broken as she had always wanted a romantic husband.

"Sultan said he would speak to Rishabh."

"He shouldn't have." Madhu says a little upset because she didn't want anyone to force Rishabh to call her.

**********

Her heart slamming against her chest, Madhu stares at her phone screen as it displayed Rishabh calling.

"Hello?" Madhu nervously answers.

"Hello, Madhu. It is, Rishu." Rishabh gently says.

"I know, I've your number saved." Madhu informs him.

"Oh. Okay."

When he didn't say anything, Madhu asks him. "How are you?"

"Fine. And you?"

"Good."

"Sultan told me that you would have expected me to call you. I am sorry, I didn't realize that." Rishabh tells her.

"It's okay. I... just..." not knowing what to say, Madhu just stops.

"When is a convenient time to call you?"

"What?" Madhu asks confused.

"You have college and college work. So, when would you be free?"

Madhu felt the question a little weird but she answers. "Like now. I'm free at this time."

"Okay."

They were silent for a few seconds.

"How was your day?" Madhu asks as she was drawing a big blank.

"Usual. Office work. How was your day?" Rishabh asks her back.

"Good. I was in college. Had a test."

"Okay."

Madhu was a little disappointed that he hadn't asked how her test went.

"What else?" Madhu asks him.

"Nothing much. What else?" He asks her back.