A Love So Pure

2003

Rishab excitedly packed his bags as tomorrow he was taking his first step towards his dream. He was so happy; finally his parents also gave in. He had been fighting with them for this for last six months and when he had got the call he was ecstatic and fought harder. His parents, whose argument was that he was their only son and they wanted him to look after the hospital but finally gave in to his adamants and dream. He hears a knock on the door and he stops smiling as he thought dreadfully that maybe one or both of his parents have come again to talk him out of it. He opens his door with apprehension and then seeing the person at the door he gets shocked then he smiles politely. "Madhu! What's up?" "Mere samne wale kidki mein ek chaand ka tukda rahta hai. And a little birdie told me that he is going to join the army. So I thought I will come and say bye." Madhu says smiling at him. "Come on in." Rishab says as he opened the door wide for her, happy at least someone was happy for him. "Packing all done?" Madhu asks as she walks in. "Almost." Rishab says excitedly as he continued to pack. "You need any help?" Madhu asks. "Just take care of my parents when I am not here." Rishab tells her. "You don't have to tell me that. I was asking about your packing." "I know. Packing almost done. So parents!" "Don't worry. I will be here for them." Madhu tells him reassuringly. Rishab smiles, Madhu was his neighbor. The only conversations they had were at social gatherings just casual hi and bye then when Madhu puts her music system loud at night, he would ask her to turn it down from his window; they never talked more than that. His bedroom window faced her bedroom window. Seeing the way she was reassuring him about his parents, he wondered whether he should have been friends with her rather than mere neighbors.

"I love you." Madhu suddenly says. "WHAT?" Rishab looks at her in shock. "I said I love you. Truly, madly and deeply." "Madhu..." Rishab says as he looked at her in shock. "I... Madhu... I..." Rishab stammers as he tried to find the right words. Madhu puts up her hand to stop him. "Relax Rishu. You don't have to say anything. I know you don't feel the same way about me. Hell you don't even know my name is Madhubala and not just Madhu." Madhu tells him. Rishab sits down next to her, "Why are you telling me this then?" "I just wanted you to know that there is someone out there who is crazy about you." Madhu tells him smiling. Rishab nods and remains silent as he wondered what to tell her, "I might never marry. I am going to be in army and there is no guarantee for my life." Rishab tells her. "I understand that." Madhu says and then gets up to leave, "I just wanted you to know. So tomorrow there would be no regrets." Rishab nods. "I am going. Just came to tell you this and..." Madhu stops. "And?" Rishab prompts. "Try not to get killed. I would be really disappointed if you do." Madhu tells him. Rishab smiles at her, "That I will try." "That you will try? Does that mean you won't try to love me?" Madhu asks. Rishab looks at her shocked, "No... I didn't mean..." "I was just joking." Madhu says laughing. "I will leave you to your packing." Madhu tells him then she hesitates for a while then leans towards him and hugs him. He doesn't hug her back. She gently kisses him on his cheek. "Be safe and be happy." With that she walks out.

2004

Rishab was home for his first holiday after a year. After catching up with his parents about the last one year, he finally goes to his room to rest. He was about to take a nap when he hears a knock on the door. He opens the door expecting his mother and gets shocked seeing Madhu. "Hey Madhu." "Hello Cadet Leader Rishab Kundra. Heard you were back, thought I will come and see you." Madhu says smiling happily at him as she looked at his face lovingly. "Come in." Madhu walks in and notices Rishab nervously rubbing his hands. "I love your military hair cut!" Madhu tells him smiling, "It's suits you." "Thank you." They remained silent as Madhu happily smiled at him while he awkwardly smiled at her. "So... how are you?" Rishab asks her. "Still in love with you. You? Any change in attitude?" seeing the casual way she had asked him, he also in a casual way shakes his head in no with a small smile. "Hmmm... thought maybe living without seeing me might have caused some divine revelations." Madhu says chuckling though he could see the disappointment on her face. "I guess I will leave. You take your rest. I'll irritate you in the evening with my loud music." Madhu tells him smiling. Then she starts to leave when Rishab stops her, "Madhu..." Madhu turns to him smiling, "Yes?" "I don't think I'll ever... don't wait for me." Rishab tells her as gently as he could. "The fact that I am waiting for you, is it affecting your life in any way?" Madhu asks him. "No." Then she starts smiling at him, "Then why do you have to simply give your opinion?" "Why are you doing this?" "Because I love you. Ever since I can remember, I have loved you." Madhu tells him. "You don't know anything about me." Rishab tells her irritated. "Just because you don't know anything about me that doesn't mean I don't know anything about you. Maybe I do know you well." Madhu tells him. When he remains silent she says, "Bye."