The Magic Of You

"She is sleeping but you can still meet her. When you are ready to meet her, let me know." Dr. Shergill informed Rishabh in a gentle tone. But Rishabh was not listening to all that, he was silently looking at the letter as he tried to read it, he wanted to read it but the tears were clouding his eyes and he couldn't see anything. The more he tried to focus the more blurred his vision got, suddenly his eyes picked up one word, a name, Madhubala, the one name that had changed his life completely, that name which gave him a new meaning to his life, gave him a life, happiness and sorrow. Madhubala.

Few months back.

Rishabh walked with his head buried in the new patient's report. A new patient Madhubala Malik had been admitted in their hospital diagnosed with brain tumor. He being the best surgeon had been assigned her case. Her operation was to take place the next week although the report mentioned that an operation had only 30% chances of her surviving it, Rishabh as usual shunned it. He always believed that everyone had a 100% chance of surviving as long as one believed in oneself, his doctor and above all his God.

Rishabh looked up and noticed that he was in front of Room no 305, Madhubala Malik's room. He decided to meet his new patient and gently knocked on the door. The door was opened by an elderly man who looked older than what he actually was. "Hello, I'm Dr. Rishabh Kundra." Rishabh introduced himself. "Come in, doctor. I'm Shamsher Malik, Madhubala's father." Shamsher Malik introduced himself as he made way for Rishabh to enter. Rishabh smiles at him as he walked in to see Madhubala Malik who was lying on the bed smiling at him. "Hello doctor." she wishes him cheerfully. "Hello Ms. Malik." Rishabh greets her back and starts the routine check ups and questions. Once everything was done, he takes her chart and starts entering his inputs in it "Everything looks good." Rishabh says his usual line. "Thank you." Madhubala suddenly says making Rishabh look up at her, "But I should tell you, I lost some weight before that I was not just good but a hot babe." As Rishabh looks at her shocked and confused he hears Shamsher calling Madhubala's name in an admonishing way and she winks at her father cheekily. "So... Dr. Kundra, are you married?" Madhubala asks him in flirty tone. "No." Rishabh replies as he went back to the chart. "Nice... any girlfriends?" Madhubala asks him again, Rishabh looks up at her frowning "What does all that have to do with your treatment?" "Hmmm no I guess." Madhubala answers her question thoughtfully then suddenly frowning she asks "You don't have any boyfriends too right?" "MADHUBALA!" Shamsher softly shouts at her. Madhubala grins at her father once again and then turns to Rishabh "So?" "No!" Rishabh grits out. "Nice... nice. I like it." Madhubala replies all impressed. "Are you hitting on me?" Rishabh asks with a frown in a soft whisper so her father doesn't hear him. "Ah! A man who is handsome, successful and intelligent. That is some combination." Rishabh simply shakes his head and starts getting up. "You are leaving?" Madhubala asks with a pout. "I can't stay here forever." Rishabh replies. "How I wish you could." Madhubala says in fake shyness. "But once your operation is over you'll go back home then what will I do staying here forever?" Rishabh asks back in a way trying to give her hope that she'll survive. Suddenly as if sobering up she replies seriously "Who knows what fate holds for them? For me, life is this moment. So live it to the fullest without a care of what happens the next moment," Rishabh didn't know what to say to that, and then he simply says "That is a nice outlook to life. I've to go now, will see you later." Rishabh says as he starts to walk out. "Please do keep coming, I would like to have you around more often." Madhubala says jovially. "I've other patients Ms.Malik." Rishabh replies. "Prettier than me? Mister, I'm THE hot babe." Madhubala says as if reminding him. Rishabh turns to her and then grins at her, "Well there is one Sahasra who beats you to *showing her a pinch* this much." "hmph!" he hears Madhubala. Chuckling Rishabh walks out as he was about to close the door Shamsher appears at the door and walks out gently closing the door "Sorry doctor, she was never like this. She used to be a very quiet child but ever since she found out of her illness she is like this, very outspoken." "That's okay Mr. Malik. The medicines can make some people talkative." Rishabh says with a smile as he brushed away the apology. "How is she?" Shamsher asks him. "She will survive right?" he asks eagerly. "I've full faith." Rishabh tells Shamsher with a reassuring smile.