fifty-four

»»————- ★ ————-««

54. elder instincts

»»————- ★ ————-««

Peter didn't know what it was, he was just sitting on one of the chairs of the kitchen island chairs, drinking his morning coffee when he felt something off. His wolf knew what it was but for it, the aura was very familiar.

He raised his eyebrow as he watched his great friend cook his nephew breakfast. He felt the familiar block of magic that his late sister used with Derek and with Cora when she would hide her pregnancy from any possible threat of other packs.

He was just about to say something when Derek walked in the kitchen. "It's a miracle seeing you here this early." The alpha said. Peter rolled his eyes and turned to him, "This is my home. Is it?" he asked as he turned to Grace who turned off the stove.

She smiled at the older Hale, "Of course it is." This made Peter smile smugly at his nephew who scoffed but sat down next to him. "What are the plans of the alpha and luna today?" Peter asked.

Grace and Derek looked at each other and shrugged. The older Hale snickered, "Figures." He said. Derek rolled his eyes, "Actually, Isaac invited me to watch practice today." he said as he chewed on some toast given by his mate.

"I just might go." The alpha said. This made the other two to look at him, Grace with a surprised expression while Peter wore an amused one, "Well that's surprising." He pointed out.

Derek furrowed his eyebrows and turned to his uncle, "What does that mean?" he asked confused at the reaction the two were giving. Not realizing that Grace walked towards him until he felt her place his palm on his forehead, "Wha-" "Are you okay Der? You don't feel warm."

He shook his head, "Stop. I'm fine." Grace raised an eyebrow at him and he chuckled, placing his hands on her sides lovingly. Peter noted the gentleness of his touch. He smirked to himself, he knew what it was, he waited to see how Grace would handle it.

"I was invited and I accepted. I haven't watched practice in a while without actually wanting to kill anyone." Derek said. Grace chuckled and nodded, "True. Bring the food though." she said and the alpha nodded smiling at her lovingly.

"Bleh, I would much rather see someone die than deal with this." Peter said. Derek laughed, "Can't handle a normal life uncle?" he teased. Peter smirked but flicked his forehead, "Just not used seeing you two living happily ever after."

"Slow down Pete, it sounds like you don't like a happy life."

"I do. I just enjoy tormenting you." The conversation was cut off when Grace's phone received a notification. She glanced at her phone and both wolves felt a shift in her emotion. They shared a look before they watched the luna rush to finish the food.

"You okay Gracie?" Derek asked, suddenly feeling nervous at the shift of his mate's emotions. Grace chuckled and nodded, trying to shake off the nerves, "Yeah. I just need to pick up the test Melissa and I left at Deaton's." she said as she grabbed her coat.

The two Hales following after her. "The food of the pups is ready. If you're staying Pete, stay out of our room." She said before moving to give Derek a quick peck. "I'll be back soon."

And just like that the luna was off to Deaton's.

»»————- ★ ————-««

"So, what is it?" Grace asked the moment she walked in the clinic. Deaton smiled at her, "I never would have imagined to be alive to be here again." He said happily.

Grace furrowed her eyebrows, "What? Deaton, can you tell me if I am or not?" she asked impatiently. The smile on the vet's only grew which only made Grace confused and more nervous.

Deaton noticed her expression and stopped, he shook his head and cleared his throat. "Right. So, I checked the test and the results are in." he said and handed her a piece of paper.

"Why do you have to make it so suspenseful." She grumbled but opened the paper. She read the contents until she reached the part where she was nervous about.

She let out a breath and gently folded the paper. Deaton watched her and raised an eyebrow at her. "You okay Grace?" he asked.

The luna hummed and nodded, "I think I always knew. This just confirms and makes it real." She admitted. Deaton nodded, "It will be more real once you tell it to your pack."

And it dawned on her suddenly, she had to tell her pack.