twenty-nine

»»————- ★ ————-««

29. luna's magic

»»————- ★ ————-««

Grace didn't know what it was, it was unusual. She had to step out of the mall to get a breath of fresh air. She thought maybe it was the strong smell of whatever was being mixed at the salon but it was different.

She felt like she was being choked. Outside, she clawed at her neck as she dropped to the ground.

"Mom!" the girls yelled, forgetting they were in public but they didn't really care. All they cared about was their suffocating den mother.

Cora crouched in front of her, she cupped her cheeks. "What is it Gracie?" she asked. Grace looked at her with tear-filled eyes, she shook her head, "Derek. There's something wrong-"

But before she could say anything else she heard it. "Isaac?" she asked. The girls looked at each other, "Uh- mom-"

Then she heard it again, but this time it was Liam calling out to Derek. "Liam." She muttered as she stood up. As she did, it clicked in her head.

She slowly looked at her girls, wide eyes, "What did they do?"

»»————- ★ ————-««

"Let them go!" Isaac growled as he wolfed out.

He was about to attack the werewolf but he was tackled to the floor. The captured beta's foot is on his neck. "Such arrogance. Tut tut, I would have assumed your Luna have taught you manners..." Ennis trailed.

Everyone froze and Derek growled at him, "Let them go. They have nothing to do with this." He said with his red eyes flashing.

Ennis laughed, "Oh but Derek they do. You see, now it's different. A pack without a Luna is powerless and I plan on getting the strongest one. And lucky for me, an old friend like you has her." He said with a smirk.

Derek growled and Ennis threw Isaac to a beta as he walked to the alpha. "You know the new rule, Derek. Without a Luna, no matter how much you fight, your betas will suffer." He whispered.

"A shame, I know you and your Luna well, never thought she would let this happen." He taunted him.

Derek's heart broke but his wolf growled. It didn't like how Ennis was talking about his mate, Ennis laughed at this, "Let's make this easy for you Derek." He said as he lifted him up by the neck.

The pups yelled and screamed for Ennis to stop but the Alpha smirked at theirs. "Goodbye, Derek Hale. I promise I'll take good care of your betas." He said.

He retracted his claws and no matter how hard Derek tried to break free, he was weak. There was something about Ennis and his betas, some sort of magical pull in their attacks. It was more than him being an alpha, it was like magic was involved.

Ennis smirked and raised his claws but before he could any damage, he was thrown out the door. He looked up ready to pounce when Grace stood in front of him with a scowl.

"You dare attack my pack?" she asked with fury in her eyes. Ennis froze, "Luna..." he whispered. "I don't want to see you here any longer Ennis. Take your mutts away from my pups before I kill them all. You're in my territory." She said with her chin up high.

Ennis didn't move, he was sure that the Hale pack had hidden their Luna but there she was. Standing tall and protective, "I said leave!" she growled as a roar worked its way out of her throat. The other pack scramming away as she watched.

When she was sure they were gone, she let out a breath and her shoulders slumped. She closed her eyes as her beating heart thumped in her ears.

She slowly turned to see her pack. She sighed in relief when she saw them, no scratches visible. "I've been gone for what? A few hours and you all get yourselves in trouble?" she asked with a small smile.

"Mom!" Liam cried and ran to her. The youngest gripped onto her as tears fell from his eyes. The rest of the pups followed, engulfing her in a big hug. She let out a breath and closed her eyes.

"You found us," Isaac whispered and she smiled. She opened her eyes and looked past them to see Derek struggling to stand. She pulled away and walked to him.

Grabbing his arm, Derek looked at her with guilt-filled eyes. "You're lucky I heard Liam and Isaac." She whispered. He looked at her confused, "You heard them?"

But he didn't get to question her further. Seeing the look, she was sending him, it made his wolf whimper in guilt. She sighed, "You're lucky I love you, Derek Hale."

Derek sighed in relief, "I love you too Gracie."

"Come on. Let's go home where I will be lecturing you all."