28 | Nostalgia

Ellie's POV:

We all took our seats around the table, as Rena took the seat at the end and Nik's parents sat across from us.

"Thank you so much for having me again." I said to both of his parents.

His father waived me off. "It's no problem. I am just as happy that your here."

I gave him a smile.

"This is my father Eric." Nik told me.

I nodded. "Well. It's nice to meet you."

His father returned the favor by giving me a small smile in return.

Most people in the Mafia are stubborn jackasses, *cough* *cough* my brother. But weirdly enough, Nikolais family was nothing like that.

They were kind and welcoming. And unlike them, most Mafia people would order that you obey their rules when you step foot into their homes. And most of the homes that I have been to, didn't even allow you to touch their furniture.

They wanted everything to be spotless and left without a mark.

But his family was different. So different that I can't understand why Nikolai doesn't act more like them.

Or treat people like they do. Not to say he is mean or anything, but I know that he is lacking when it comes to their personality.

"So. Rena. I have finished your dress for the party, and I would really like it if we could go upstairs and try it on. Just to make sure all my measurements are accurate and such. Is that fine with you?"

Her dimples appeared as the corners of her mouth formed into a grin. "Yes. Of course." She replied as she stood up from her chair, and then slowly pushing it in.

"Mother, Father, Nik. If you will please excuse us."

Me and Rena headed back inside as we started to walk up the stairs, and into her room.

****

Nikolai's POV:

Seeing a smile on Ellie's face ment everything and more to me.

She looked happy and I didn't even know why. It was just my family. And my family really wasn't that special. If she only knew the real dirt behind my father and how cruel he could be. She would understand why I never come here anymore.

As soon as Ellie left, I immediately knew my mother was going to begin asking questions. And as I sat back in my chair, I tried to calm my mind and brace myself for the mountain of questions.

"So. How are you?" My mother asked with a warm smile.

I sat my arms on the arm rests, as I did my best to relax my muscles.

"Fine."

She sighed. "It's been almost 6 months since we have seen you. Is their any reason WHY you decided not to visit us for Christmas?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Yes, I had work."

My father scoffed as my head darted towards him. "Son, your always working. You couldn't take-off for eve a few days to see your family for the holidays?"

To be honest, I should have. I should have canceled all those meetings and said fuck off, I am SEEING my family. I mean, any reasonable human being would.

But. The scars that my father left on our family are to big, that it's hard for me to even look him in the eye.

"I tried. But I had meetings are were busy. I told you guys this on the phone."