8 | Double Trouble

Nikolai's POV:

To put this into context. I have known Ellie for quite a while.

And to me, she has always been this bratty and annoying woman.

She was always their to rub something into the dirt or irritate the shit out of me until I blew up at her.

But I stuck around because I liked her brother.

Not her.

But for some reason, I am standing on this balcony wishing she didn't leave.

My brain couldn't let go of the sight of her goregous brown eyes and the way her pupils dilated when she was focusing on something.

The way her nose scrunched up every time she was mad.

The way her luscious lips parted when she stared at me.

It's like I had never seen her like that before.

I had never seen her so calm and collected.

And even if it was only for a few seconds. It felt like something had changed between us.

Something big.

Something I knew I was either going to regret or praise for the rest of my life.

I paced the balcony. When all the sudden I felt a buzz in my pocket.

I immediately reached down and grabbed the device as I clicked answer.

"Hello?" I said in a more stern tone.

"Hey." I immediately heard Anthony say over the line.

I sighed.

"Hey man, how is it going?"

"Well. He isn't here yet."

My eyes bugged out. "What do you mean?"

He let out a small breath. "I don't know, man. The doctor said that Beverly is going to have a really slow birth. She probably won't have the baby until tomorrow night."

I closed my eyes and silently growled as I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Jesus. I hope she is ok."

He paused for once second, sending a small strike of panic up my body.

"She will be. But we will probably be here for a while."

I rolled my eyes.

"Are you and my darling sister getting along?"

I growled. "Yeah asshole. Would have been appreciated if you had told me she was going to be here."

A small chuckle came from the other end of the line.

"Oh, stop your whining. It's not like she is going to kill you or anything."

My eyebrows went up as I started to feel doubt.

"Well. If I don't kill her first."

Anger rose in his voice. "Oh, come on. Why do you hate her so much, Nik? Is she REALLY that bad?"

Yes. She was.

She was that bad because she was the one I couldn't get off my mind.

She was the one who would annoy the shit out of me until I exploded.

"Yes. She is Anthony. If she was coming here this week. Why did you tell me to come to? I am sure she could have taken care of Ace herself. Plus. You know I hate kids."

He scoffed. "Yes. But you two need to stop being toddlers and just talk like humans."

I rolled my eyes as I leaned against railing. I was not even feeling one bit of scare as I looked at the ground.

Imagining what would happen if I just jumped off this edge right now.

"So can I go home?"

He chuckled cheerily. "No. Because their is something I need you and her to take care of for me and Bev."

I ran my free hand against my jaw. "God. Now what?" I said frustrated.

"I need you and El to go to this event."

And their I was again. Pacing back and forth against the patio.

"What kind of event, Brown?"

"I need you to pretend that you are her escort and go to this ball, thing. It's supposed to be like some sort of charity event. And I was suppossed to go. But my absence will be excused due to Bev."

I felt my skull begin to ache in pain and anger.

My skin began to heat up.

"Why can't she just go by her fucking self?"

He sighed. "Because. 2 people have to attend. And they have to be a couple. So. For one night, I am asking that you guys go to this ball for me and Bev."

I wanted to scream. Everytime I try to get away from this woman, I can't.

Everytime I try to distance myself from her, she just keeps coming back.

I scrunched my eyes closed as I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Fine. Whatever. I will take her to this stupid dance."

He sighed on the phone in relief. "Thank you, Nik. Don't kill each other!"

"Wait. How am I suppossed to fucking tell her that you have to go with me to a party that we both don't want to go to."

He chuckled. "Don't worry I will call her."

I quickly hung up the phone as I sat my head in my hands.

I growled at the idea of even thinking about her. I didn't want to spend time with her, let alone be FORCED to take her to a ball

Now, all I had to do was agree to get her to go with me.