Chapter 12

Stephanie's POV

I know my wife has the death glare that makes you want to run away like a scared little puppy. Her words can cut right through you like one of her knives in the kitchen and we are still not sure if she is actually capable of committing a murder.

Last night after we put the twins to bed she had her moment. She was pacing around the room, screaming at the ceiling. She kept apologizing to us because she didn't want it to seem like she's mad at us and we understood that. We knew she needed to let it out.

So we sat there and listened.

But something that scares me more, is her quiet state. When she goes to the kitchen and closes off to the world. I don't like it when she goes into a state like that.

I would much rather have her screaming out her emotions.

This morning when we woke up, she came down to the kitchen and she started organizing. She took everything out the cupboards and she started cleaning.

We all know her kitchen is always spotless but we didn't want to say anything. In fact, we offered to help her but she refused. We tried comforting kisses which she didn't reject but she asked us for some space.

Alex had to go to work for a while but I took the day off with Maya. I didn't want her to be alone in this state. I took the kids to daycare and got some work done myself but I gave her the space she asked for.

And now, a few hours later Alex and I are at the park with the twins. She made sure to be home after lunch so that she can come with me.

The twins are having the time of their lives. Jonah is kicking around his soccer ball and Riley was happy on the swings a little earlier but I see her attention is drawn to the sandpit. I think Alex is happy for a break, she was pushing Riley on the swing for about half an hour.

I look to my left and see Alex walking my way with two cups of ice scream. "They didn't have the strawberry flavor baby, sorry"

"It's okay, thank you" I smile and take the cups from her.

"I'll go call the kids" she says and walks over the grass towards the playground.

It's only a few feet away from us and she could've just called them but she hates it when parents yell at their kids in the park.

I watch her get their attention and at first they didn't want to come but I assume she said I have something to eat because right now they are running towards me. It's not very fast and I always hold my breath when they run because one tiny misstep, sends them face first into the ground.

"Oohh look what I have" I smile as they get to me.

They both giggle and stand beside me, looking at the ice scream in my hands. Alex takes a seat next to me and also takes one of the cups to lure Jonah's attention to her while I scoop up a tiny bite for Riley.

"Come sit here sweetheart" I say and tap on my legs.

She comes to sit on my lap and I give her the first bite. "Hmmm, yummy ice scream" I smile and she softly giggles.

"Do you think Maya will be okay?"

I look over at Alex and take a deep breath. "I think so. She just needs to process it"

"I don't know baby, she is really upset about this" She sighs. "I just don't want this dinner tonight to be a huge family fight."

"I know, me neither. She just needs to have a calm conversation with Jamie about it."

"Yeah"

"But how are you feeling?" I ask her in a slightly serious tone as I make sure Riley's mouth is clean after every bite I give her.