Chapter 6

Stephanie's POV

A rainy Tuesday morning makes me take a disappointed breath. Not only because the slight possibility that I might get wet from the rain and that I absolutely hate it. But also that it's a little colder today and the twins have to go to daycare. We are all going out of the house early today, so they have to go.

Jonah is finally better after the weekend and I just really don't want him to get sick again.

The elevator doors open up and as I step out I see a few people scurrying away in different directions. They probably thought I'm not coming in today but I have to be here. I have a meeting with a client and I have a meeting with all the new interns.

I haven't even met all of them because they are mostly two floors down. I also didn't interview all of them because I didn't have the time.

But today I will definitely see all of them.

"Good morning Mrs Woods" my assistant says as he jumps up from his seat.

"Good morning Colton, can you please check if Bernice is in already?"

"She just went to the break room ma'am" he quickly answers and hands me all the messages from yesterday.

"Thank you" I nod my head and walk into my office to put my bags down.

I immediately turn back to walk out because I want to talk to Bernice about our meeting later this morning. I sent her an email yesterday with a few notes but it's beter if we talk about it face to face. And I could use a cup of coffee. I would prefer coffee from my own machine in my office but atleast I'll have company in the break room.

I walk down the hallway and greet a few people along the way. I almost never go to the break room and they're all probably a little confused as to why I am walking this way.

As I open the door I see a few people inside, drinking their first cup of the day. They all greet me with a polite smile but they struggle to hold eye contact with me and I don't know why.

I glance around the room and I see Bernice at the back counter talking to someone who I actually don't know.

I walk straight up to them and Bernice does a double take in my direction. "Oh hi" she smiles.

"Hey Berni" I smile.

"Good morning Mrs Woods" the other woman greets me and I take a few seconds trying to remember her but I have no idea who she is.

"Good morning, how are you doing?" I smile.

"I'm doing good thanks" she nods with a small smile and then turns to Bernice. "I'll come see you a little later about that form."

"Okay, I'll see you later." Bernice smiles and the woman walks away.

"That is Christina from accounting." She laughs, clearly seeing my confusion.

"Thank you" I chuckle in slight embarrassment and lean against the counter next to her.

"You don't have to know everyone" she smiles. "But what are you doing here?"

"I wanted to come talk to you and I need some coffee." I say and walk over to the coffee machine.

"Everything is set for ten o'clock. I just have to print out the last few reports. Then you can do your thing."

"Thank you Bernice" I smile in appreciation as I pour myself some coffee.

"Your welcome Steph" she smiles back at me. "It's my job you know" she softly chuckles.

"I know, but still" I say and we take a seat at one of the tables.

"Are we having coffee here?" She frowns.