063 - Their Sea/Our Sea - 3

Start from the beginning

Fuel shortages were also severe in China.

China had antagonized over half of the world's GDP (G4) and was under international monitoring to prevent the expansion of the war, which included the export and import of military supplies. Therefore, it was unlikely that oil, which had a military supply aspect, would easily flow into China.

The Kriegsmarine found themselves in a difficult situation.

United States

It can be said that it was a generally successful German fleet tracking drama. It also achieved good results as a long-distance navigation training. In particular, the continuous implementation of advanced aircraft carrier operations learned through the USFJ in Guam in a realistic combat environment proved to be a significant achievement. The numerous successes and failures were recognized to contribute greatly to the future operations of the United States Navy aircraft carriers.

Furthermore, the long-distance voyage with the French battleship Dunkerque led to gaining knowledge about the operation of high-speed battleship groups, which the US Navy would acquire in the near future. The future knowledge and lessons learned obtained from Japan and the USFJ hold significant meaning only when supported by future technology. Thus, it was important to conduct diligent research and training to utilize that knowledge and carry out what can be done with current technology.

After entering the Frontier Republic, TF 21 conducted a two-week rest, resupply, and maintenance before carrying out friendly training with Japan and Britain in the Yellow Sea. Joint navigation and rescue training was widely publicized in the media and received enthusiastic support. Of course, the purpose of this was to intimidate China along with Germany.

After the training, TF 21 rested again to regain their vigor and embarked on their return journey to the Atlantic Ocean. This time, they planned to cross the Pacific and return by passing through the Panama Canal. Along the way, they planned to make port calls at Yokosuka and Pearl Harbor, where they would be warmly welcomed.

At the port calls, they would enjoy various alcoholic beverages such as wine, Japanese sake, bourbon, and shochu, as well as savoring various delicacies. The French officer of the battleship Dunkerque would later refer to this voyage as a "wonderful journey."

TF 21 left the Far East, but the two battleship groups, led by the battleship Pennsylvania that had been detached from the Pacific Fleet, remained stationed in the Frontier Republic. Their purpose was to be prepared to suppress the battleship Scharnhorst, which would pose the greatest threat, should Germany lose its mind.

. . .

China

The presence of the battleship (Leviathan) as the ruler of the seas, freely roaming not only the East China Sea but also the Bohai Sea and the Yellow Sea, which should be China's front yard, greatly tarnished China's prestige. The citizens loudly advocated that even the dragon-like guardian of the Orient, China, needed battleships. However, the current China did not possess the industrial capacity to build battleships alone.

Thanks to Germany's assistance, they were able to produce tanks and fighter planes to a certain extent, but they lacked the capability to construct combat ships with large-caliber guns that could be called battleships, clad in steel armor. Considering imports seemed to be the next option for China, but there were only a limited number of countries capable of building battleships. The G4 countries, led by the United States, which were in conflict with China, were a futile option to request construction.

As for Germany and the Soviet Union, which could be considered friendly nations, they were already fully occupied with building battleships for their own needs and had no spare capacity to build battleships for China. Moreover, China's finances had become extremely strained in recent years due to its extensive preparations for a potential conflict with the United States. They simply did not have the resources to maintain battleships, which were symbols of a first-rate nation and strategic weapons.