Chapter Nineteen - Dinner with the Gaunts

Lex's POV

Arriving at the Sallows is bittersweet. I'm excited to spend the next two weeks here, but I cannot stop worrying about Y/N.

Tonight they will be going to the Gaunt's...I'm terrified they might do something to her.

"Hey, look at me." Sebastian pulls my face to meet his eyes. "You have your bracelets. She said she'd check in throughout the night. It's going to be fine."

I take a deep breath as I try to stop my nerves from over taking me and focus on him. "I know...I know."

I feel another hand squeeze my shoulder, offering comfort. I turn to see Sharp walking through the door and Sironna already next to me. "It'll be alright. We will be here if she needs us."

Christmas dinner and gifts seemed far less bright without my overly optimistic sister bouncing around. The food wasn't as good either. I'm glad I had everyone here though...Our new family, a family that would go to battle for Y/N and I if we asked.

I stand up from the table and tap my knife on the side of my glass, "I'd like to make a toast...if that's okay." I feel a small blush cross my cheeks. "I'm not the best at expressing myself all the time, but I love you all...And I...I just want to thank you for being a part of my life." I feel a tear trickle down my cheek. I wipe it away quickly as I sit back down.

"Oh, Lex." Anne walks over to hug me in my seat. "You're getting as mushy as Y/N is."

"Hush." I nudge her off of me. As I push out, I see the glow of my bracelet. Y/N! I quickly tap it to hear her voice.

"Hey Lex! We just arrived at the estate. I love you!"

"See, she's fine." Sebastian leans over to kiss my forehead.

I let out a large sigh in relief. She's okay, it's just dinner. It's just dinner.

Over an hour goes by without any update. We all eat dessert and keep conversation topics light.

"Lex! Your bracelet!" Sharp snaps at me. Calm down, Dad! He is clearly just as on edge as I am.

Tap. "We're getting ready to leave. I had a nice moment with his dad. His mother is awful! I'll message again once we're in the carriage."

Sharp and I sit in silence staring at my bracelet waiting for the glow to indicate she is safely on her way back to us. Everyone else continues the conversation like normal trying not to add to our stress.

It glows. Tap. "We're in the air, should be in Feldcroft within an hour. Tell everyone I cannot wait to see them."

I look at Sharp as we both breathe out in relief. She's coming back to us. She's safe.

--------------------------------

Ominis' POV

"Can you describe it for me?"

As we ride in the carriage, she takes my hands and rests them on her dress so I can follow the description. "The corset is black and is excessively tight! I can barely breathe. The bodice is a deep purple that rests off the shoulders. The skirt is layered with deep purple and black fabric that has a detailed floral embroidery." I let my fingers trace across the fabric, the pattern of the stiching, and the back of her corset that is VERY tight.

"Are you sure we cannot loosen it a bit for you?"

"No, Mr. Hill was VERY specific that 'for formal wear you have to be in pain to please.' Your parents requested formal, so I am damn sure going to give it to them!"