Chapter Ten - Mama Please Wake Up!

Trigger warning!!! Chapter deals with domestic violence and murder.

Professor Sharp's POV

It's been a long week grading papers. I don't understand how so many of the third years can be so bloody stupid. I walk through my classroom door turning to lock it for the evening when I hear a cry of pain down the hall.

Moving as quickly as my limp will allow, I make my way over towards the sound and spot Ms. Y/L/N laying on the ground in her pajamas crying and gripping her side. I know that look of pain. Who would have cursed her?

Picking her up in my arms, I carry her back to my classroom before quickly beginning a batch of the same potion I use to help with my leg pain. It won't help fully, but it will alleviate some of the pain for her.

"Professor..." her breath is heavy.

"Don't try to speak." Thank Merlin this is a quick brew time. Bottling it quickly I move over handing her the vial. "Sip on this. It's still hot so don't try to chug it."

"Thank you..." As she sips from the vial I see her muscles start to unclench a bit. Good. It's helping.

"Tell me what happened."

"I'm fine, really."

"A curse is NOT fine. Tell me exactly what happened." She stays silent longer than I'd like, but given her past I understand her not wanting to open up.

"It was a dark wizard... I was trying to stop a poacher camp and one of them hit me with the curse. Lex got me out and took care of the rest of the camp." Reckless child.

Just as reckless as when I first met her... so long ago.

I answer a call for a domestic disturbance that is linked to a notorious crook, Emmet Wolfe. Our hope is that if we can get him on a simple crime then we'll have the justification to search his properties and finally get him for the whole operation he's running.

As I approach the home quietly, I hear the screams of a child inside. "Please Papa!!!...." I cast the disillusionment charm. "I'll be good!... I promise I'll be good!" I enter through the back door into the kitchen. "Please stop Papa!!!"

I turn the corner to spot a small H/C haired little girl. She can't be more than 6 years old. In front of her stands a large man, back to the girl, bloody knife in his hand. Merlin, no. Looking further in front of him a woman lays on the ground. Arm reached out towards the child, her torso gutted. It almost looks like she was mauled by a wild animal.

The man turns. Emmet Wolfe. "Papa...Please..." The child starts begging again.

"She made me do this." He raises his knife to point at the little girl.

Not another step closer! I spring up and cast Expelliarmus, launching the knife from his hands before he can get closer to the child.

He looks at me with the deadest eyes I've ever seen. No anger. No remorse. Just emptiness.

"Depulso!" He launches backwards. "Bombarda!" I throw an explosion at him, knocking him off his feet completely. Running forward I grab the girl in my arms and take her to the kitchen. Setting her down under the counter, I whisper, "Stay here, sweetheart." I can now see the blood covering her face as I look at her head on. Bastard. A large vertical gash over her eye is bleeding out.

"Diffindo!"

"Protego!" I block the attack and run toward him trying to draw his attention away from the girl.