Chapter One - Love at First Stab?

Lex's POV

"Well this is about as awkward as it could possibly get." I whisper under my breath towards my sister who is glued to my side.

"Saving the best for last." Y/N says back with her classic giant grin across her face. It always amazes me how Y/N can just fit into any situation she's dropped in. Here we are, two older students thrown into a group of first years with every eye in the school on us and she is all smiles without a care in the world. Normally I don't mind being the center of attention, but it's not like I've actually done anything I can show off. The eyes are only interested because we're shiny new toys to look at. I'd much rather them looking at me in awe for my dueling skills.

"Alexandra Y/L/N." The voice cuts off my train of thought. Ughh I hate people using my full name.

Stepping forward I sit upon the small stool and the old hat is placed on top of my head quickly. No doubt they want to get this ceremony over with quickly so we can all finally eat. Merlin, I'm starving. Looking out in front of me I see my sisters wide eyed big smile glowing at me. She's so excited I can practically see her H/C hair bounce around as she can't hold still. Such a goof. Rolling my eyes I bring my focus back to the hat.

"Hmmm a bit older than the others," The enchanted hat pauses for longer than he did with the first years. Odd. "By far the most difficult of the evening...ambitious,  very clever." Well at least I'm going to be memorable. "Your bravery is also of note...however, I think you best belong in...Slytherin!"

I am quickly rushed over to the cheering table of green robes by the red headed professor. I take a seat and quickly turn to watch my sister move forward for her sorting.

"Y/N Y/L/N." Her name is called and she happily steps up to approach the stool. Oh no. Missing the first step she immediately trips and falls face first. Oh Merlin, in front of the entire school. Way to make a first impression, Y/N.

Hearing giggles throughout the entire hall, I catch the girl across from me snickering and quickly shoot her a death glare. Don't you dare snicker at my sister, snot nosed twat. An adorable laugh echoes through the room drawing my attention. I know that laugh... Y/N has turned herself around to sit on her butt, laughing like a fool at her own stupidity. I produce a small chuckle under my breath while shaking my head. Of course she'd fall on her face and not give a single care about it. It's Y/N we're talking about, if she cared what people thought every time she fell, dropped something, or ran into a wall then she'd live in embarrassment from the entire world.

Getting up off the ground and taking her seat, I hear the red headed professor quietly ask, "Are you okay, dear?"

"Never better!" She beams back with a big smile. Her E/C eyes sparkling in excitement once again.

The hats voice once again speaks out as the hat rests on her head. "Another older student...very different from the last, far less complex." Hmm well that seems a bit rude. "Very easy to see you are a clear Hufflepuff." Oh no, we won't be in the same house... I can't believe I never thought of that. We are drastically different so it makes sense we wouldn't be sorted together, but we haven't been apart for so long.

-----------------------------------

Y/N's POV

"Are you sure you're alright?" Professor Weasley once again asks me as we walk down the dim hall full of barrels. She's so sweet!

"I promise I'm fine! Thank you, Professor." I was a bit embarrassed by my incident during the sorting ceremony, but not much I can do now but to accept and own it. Yup, I am the new fifth year that just fell on her face, pleased to meet you!