Chapter 2. - The great feast.

Chapter 2. - The great feast.

It was time for the feast. Arthur really wasn’t looking forward to it this year. Only the year before, his sister had released the Dorocha causing a hell of a load of chaos. So you can’t really blame him for the bad feeling he had about this year. Not only that but only a couple of months ago his father had caused his own kind of chaos by almost killing Arthur’s wife, and almost killing half his knights. There was a loud bang as Merlin burst through the door. ‘I wish I had just let him kill Merlin though. It would have saved me from an annoying life time of service.’ He thought.

“Sire.” Merlin said breathlessly, “I...... can’t find G.....Gwen.”

“What do you mean, you can’t find Guinevere?!” Arthur said, his temper rising.

“I mean..... She’s not in the citadel or in her old house and the others are waiting in the banquet hall for the feast.” Merlin said. But Arthur wasn’t listening the minute he had heard that Guinevere wasn’t in the castle or her old home, he was rushing around pulling on his boot, strapping his sword and belt round his waist and putting his cloak round his neck. He strode towards the door. “Where are you going?” Merlin called, but Arthur didn’t answer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arthur ran all the way to Guinevere’s house, Merlin following him all the while. “Why are you following me?!” Arthur yelled back to him.

“Because Gwen is my friend too and I want  to make sure she is alright.” Merlin yelled back.

“Fair enough! Just keep up!” Arthur said, he knocked on the door loudly. Merlin just managed to catch up with him, when Gwen opened the door. Arthur ducked inside the house muttering, “Thought you said she wasn’t here.”

“She wasn’t a minute ago.” Merlin said trying to follow him inside.

“Merlin get out.” Arthur said slamming the door in his face.

A thunder cloud rumbled overhead. ‘Oh great! Can life get any worse. I’m stuck outside and it’s about to rain.’ Merlin thought, lightning flashed and the rain poured down, Merlin ducked under Gwen’s doorway to try and stay dry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Guinevere, love. What’s wrong?” Arthur asked, hugging his wife to his chest.

“I’m fine.” Gwen replied, but Arthur could hear past the facade. He pulled her tighter to him, as she broke down into sobs. “Shh. Love it’s okay. It’s okay.” Arthur whispered, kissing her on the top of her head.

“I just m-m-miss E-Elyan s-s-so much.” Gwen sobbed.

“I know.” Arthur crooned, kissing Gwen on her head again. Arthur held onto her until she stopped sobbing. “Are you okay now love?” he asked softly. Gwen slowly nodded. “Do you want to come to the feast?”

Gwen smiled slightly, but it looked like she forced it. “If I don’t who’s going to keep you in check?” Arthur smiled at his wife, then took her hand and let her out of her old home. Upon opening the door, they saw Merlin stood in the doorway. “Finally!” Merlin said, “It’s pouring with rain out here.” Gwen smiled; she had great friends and an extremely lovable husband.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------They ran all the way to the feast, they were late and wet but they didn’t care. Arthur and Guinevere sat at the top of the hall and Merlin grabbed one of the wine jugs. He went around the room, pouring wine into the empty goblets. Then when he had done that he stood to one side of the hall, respectfully listening to Arthur’s speech: “Samhain. It’s the time to remember those we have lost and to celebrate their passing. Tonight we remember friends, family and loved ones. May we all thank them for the peaceful kingdom of Camelot that they have played their part in to help us achieve it, for the future of Albion.” Arthur said, then Gwaine drunkenly said. “Long live the Prat..... I mean King. Long live the queen.” Long live the king and queen echoed throughout the hall as the great bell struck twelve o’clock. Merlin shivered he couldn’t help but remember what had happened last year from the look on Arthur’s face it seemed he was remembering the same thing. Arthur glanced over at Merlin, who inclined his head towards him. When they had stood there until the bell had stopped ringing. Arthur turned to face to hall once more. “Right how about a new tradition?” he asked, clapping his hands together eagerly. “Tonight we are going to all ride out to the Great Stones of Nematon.” Merlin looked at Arthur shocked. “Merlin go and prepare the horses. For myself, my wife, Percival, Leon, Gwaine and of course yourself.” Arthur said. Merlin nodded and hurried out of the room.