Chapter Thirty-one

Ryan drummed his fingers along his chair and glanced around the empty waiting room. A TV in the corner was playing a seasoned episode of Blue Bloods, but he hardly noticed. He was too worried about Justice to care.

Just as he was about to call Kyle, his partner walked into the room, a hardened but relieved expression on his face.

"Hey, Ry." Kyle said, taking a seat next to him.

"Hey. Did you guys get him?"

"Yeah. Have you heard anything?"

Ryan shook his head and leaned back in his chair. "No, not yet. Right after you left the doc called and said they were putting her under, but I haven't heard anything else."

Kyle nodded and rubbed his forehead, obviously exhausted.

A tense silence settled between them. Kyle kept shifting, glancing over at him, at the clock, then at his hands again. Finally, Ryan couldn't take it anymore.

"What?"

"What? What do you mean?"

He crossed his arms and frowned. "You look like you either want to kill me or you're dying to ask me something. Which is it?"

Kyle hesitated. "Well, I was wondering..."

Oh, God. Here we go.

"What did you mean when you said she had no family? Did it not occur to you to notify her parents?"

"Yeah, I think her family already knew, man." Ryan said quietly.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

When he didn't respond, Kyle leaned closer. CRy, what's going on? What are you hiding?"

"Nothing."

"Kyle released a frustrated laugh and ran his fingers through his hair. Ryan, I've known you for eight freaking years, I know when you're hiding something. And I have a feeling that something has to do with Justice."

"Well, it does have something to do with her, but I promised her I wouldn't tell anyone."

"If it even remotely has anything to do with how she ended up here, I need to know. Is it something with Holoman?" Anger built behind his gaze. "Did he do something to her?"

"No. At least, not like you're thinking."

He dropped his head into his hands. "Man, please. You know how I feel about her. If that lowlife did or said something I'm not aware of, then I need to know. Please, Ry. Tell me. I love her too much for this to end without knowing what really happened. Please."

Ryan sighed and rubbed his hand over his face. "Kyle," He said, casting a quick glance around the room. "I'm about to tell some really heavy stuff. Justice made me swear not to tell anyone, so if she survives this and you say anything, I'll kill you if she doesn't get to me first. Got it?"

Kyle nodded. Of course. "What's going on?"

"Well, Justice, she...she told me some things the other night, things about her past. She hasn't exactly always had it easy, Kyle. Life hasn't treated her as good as it has us."

His expression crumpled. "Hasn't exactly treated me like royalty, Ry."

"Compared to her, you've had it perfect. And I have a feeling there's more she didn't tell me."

"Get to the chase, man."

"Okay, okay. So she told me a lot about her past, how hard her life has been."

"What do you mean?"

Ryan sighed and closed his eyes. I'm sorry, Justice. I have to break my promise.