Chapter Twenty-four

My alarm shattering the early morning silence lurched me awake. I groaned and turned to face the clock on my nightstand. 4:59.

I shot upright, blacking out at the sudden movement. How had I slept in so late? I had to be at work in a hour! There was no way I could tend to the animals on the ranch and still...

That was when I remembered, I wasn't in Collinsville. I was in Whitesboro. Last night after I finished working I had been shown to her room in the bunkhouse. Anderson had forbidden me to go back to my ranch in case someone followed me.

Anybody with the tiniest inkling of common sense would Google my address to see who the property belonged to, instantly blowing my cover. It wasn't worth the risk. I was not to leave Whitesboro except in the case of a extreme emergency or an assignment.

I hadn't been happy about the arrangement.

Turning my thoughts back to the present, I drew the covers back and pushed myself to my feet. Wasting no time, I threw on a pair of jeans an old tee shirt. After finger-combing my hair and brushing my teeth, I tugged my hat on and looked in the mirror. "Not bad."

I slipped my phone into my back pocket and stepped into the hallway. I soundlessly glided down the staircase. The kitchen came into view. I downed a cup of water and snatched up an apple, watching the sun rise through the window above the sink. Above me, footsteps sounded. Everyone else was getting up. Gosh, you guys sure aren't in a hurry to get things started in the morning.

Tossing the remnants of the apple in a nearby trash can, I stepped out the back door into the crisp air. I was greeted by a meadow lark flying overhead, singing thanks for another day. I smiled and headed toward the barn. Last night I had noticed Legend's stall door was swinging by one hinge. Quick fix. All I'd have to do was add another latch and screw it to the frame.

I pulled the heavy metal door open and flicked on the lights. Instantly the horses warily turned to look at her. "Morning, boys." I stepped into the tackroom and reached for a halter and lead. I snagged a pitchfork and moved back to Legend's stall.

"Hey, girl." I ran circles over the mare's forehead, then clicked the halter in place. "Let's get this place cleaned up." I fastened Legend's lead to a beam and mucked out her stall. After pouring fresh water into her drinking pail, I led her back inside and clicked the gate shut, doubling checking to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

I was finishing up the final stall when Jack stalked into the barn. He jumped as he saw me. "You scared the crap out of me. What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" I wiped the sweat from my forehead and leaned against the pitchfork. "Somebody's gotta clean out the stalls."

Jack folded his arms across his chest. "What time did you get up?"

"Uh, four something. Man, you guys like to sleep in, don't you?"

"It's only six fifteen!"

"I know." I clutched the wheelbarrow handles and walked toward the entrance. "I guess not everyone is a early riser."

"Whatever. You can keep working in here. I'm going to help everyone else turn the horses out." Jack mumbled.

I concealed a smirk and nodded. "You got it."

After Jack was out of sight, I did a habitual 360°. I was alone, probably would be for at least half a hour. Stabbing the pitchfork into a nearby mound of hay, I climbed into the loft. "Let's see what we can do." I whipped my phone out and dialed Anderson.

"Pick up, boss." My grip on the device tightened, my ears straining to hear any sound to give away the fact that I wasn't the only one in the barn. Nothing.