Chapter Thirty-four

Five months later

"I'm sorry, come again?" I forced myself to conceal the irritation in my voice and take a deep breath. "Ryan is what?"

"Ryan is insisting on a cookout at his place tonight." Kyle answered, a hint of amusement in his voice. "And he said if you don't come, he's going to come and drag you over here himself."

"Kyle, I can't come. I'm supposed to be meeting my old partner and his wife and Miranda tonight. I can't just bail on them. Grayson is literally twenty minutes away."

"Why don't you just bring them with you?"

I scoffed. "Kyle, you're not supposed to bring random people to your friend's house. Ry would kill me."

"Hey, Ryan!" Kyle shouted into the background. "Do you mind if Justice brings some friends to the cookout tonight?"

I heard shouting in the background, then Kyle got back on the line. "He said he doesn't care."

"Ky..."

"Seriously, Justice. It would be fun. What were you planning?"

"Well, I felt a blush creeping up my neck. We...were going to...watch the game?"

"Liar. You hate football. You have no clue, do you?"

I sighed. "Nope. I'm not the best at planning stuff like this."

"Then come over here." Kyle coaxed gently. "You know you'll have fun."

"If Ryan's planning it, then we'll probably all get arrested." I retorted. "But fine, I'll call Miranda and Grayson. Miranda mentioned something about bringing her boyfriend."

"This should be an interesting night." Kyle chuckled.

That's putting it mildly. "Yeah, I guess. I'll see you in thirty."

"See you then."

I hung up and texted Grayson and Miranda Ryan's address on the outskirts of Dallas. Miranda responded first, then Grayson.

K, I'll see you there!

Got it. Can't wait to catch up, partner.

I smiled and slid my phone into my back pocket. I glanced down at Ranger, who lay sleeping at my feet. "Time to go inside for the night, buddy."

Forty-five minutes later, I was pulling in Ryan's driveway on my Harley. I removed my helmet and jacket, flinging them over the seat as I sprinted toward the back yard. Laughter and the sound of music blasting reached my ears as I rounded the house.

"Justice!" Miranda was on her feet in an instant. She waved me over excitedly, an exhilarated smile on her face.

"Hey, Miranda." I smiled and held out my hand as I neared the young woman. "How have you been? I haven't talked to you in forever."

Miranda pulled me into a hug. "I'm doing good. A lot better ever since you got me away from Garth. I still don't know how to thank you for what you did that. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here tonight."

I smiled and pulled away, backing up a couple of feet. "No need to thank me, I was just doing my job. But speaking of which, who's this?"

A young man stood behind Miranda, his hand resting lightly on her shoulder. I felt my protective instincts kicking in high gear as he held out his hand.

"Timothy Cooke."

I shook his hand, but my eyes held an unusual edge. "Justice Taylor. Nice to meet you."