33. Revengeful Rescue

Start from the beginning

"No, were- were they Iz*one? I heard about Chaeryeong's sister."

"I did too. But they weren't the first ones."

"Then, who were the first ones?"

He leaves a pause, silent, letting his thoughts set in.

"Seokjin. A week ago, it was a Thursday. A school day. Which means... which means-"

No. Please don't say what I think you're going to say, Soobin. Don't say it, please.

"The first people locked up here, Seokjin- They... They were students."

My eyes widen in shock.

"Students? Soobin- What- No, they weren't- Were they?"

Soobin nods his head solemly.

Those thugs, they're monsters. Absolute monsters. They took students from a school. And killed them.

Those were the human bodies that we passed on our way to here, they were lying on the field, some decapitated and some others missing limbs...

They were students. All of them.

They had lives to live. Ones that would last longer than ours. But they were ended prematurely by monsters. Heartless, good for dead monsters.

I ball my fists up in rage, feeling the skin tighten around my knuckle joints.

"HOW? HOW COULD THEY DO THIS. HO- HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO FREAKING CHILDREN, EVEN???" I shout, punching the table.

Soobin jumps back from my sudden outburst.

He opens his mouth to speak, words barely coming out in nothing more than a whisper.

"But, Seokjin, there's still one more thing-"

"THEY DID WHAT TO CHILDREN?" someone shouts, making me swivel a full 180 degree turn.

It's Ryujin. She's looking straight at us, just feet away.

But, so are the others.

"What the- were you eavesdropping on us?" I say, my eyes widened in shock.

"That's not an answer. My question was what did they do to children." Ryujin says indignantly, her face a mix between shock and concern. Maybe also a bit of the same look that a kid has when they've just found out someone's secret.

"Yeah, but why were you eavesdropping on us?" I respond, by voice equally as indignant.

This isn't the time for a huge discussion. This is meant to be a one-on-one with me and Soobin. Together. Only us two.

I look at Soobin, who seems to have a completely different vibe from us. He isn't angry, or indignant or confused or scared like what I'd expected him to be right now.

He's sad. His head is down, and his face is sullen.

"Soobin? Wha- what? Is everything OK? What now?"

His voice comes out in a subtle whisper.

"I'm not done talking yet. You didn't let me finish."

"Oh yeah, sorry-"

"Just cut to the chase, Soobin." Ryujin butts in, breaking off my sentence.

"Ryujin, this is secret, can you just go? You're making a huge fuss." I shoot back coldly.

She looks at me, her brows furrowed in annoyance.

"Fine. Alright, just continue. I'll be over there." She finishes, taking rolling her eyes and walking away.