32

Arden's POV

At the time I saw her at the hospital covered in tears, my heart broke into million of pieces.

Every inch of my body ached for her.

Ophelia never looked this hurt before. Or it is just me who never noticed what she was going through.

"Arden...my mother, she did this again" she was fighting herself from crying more.

"She is not in her right mind" Ophelia was sobbing into my shoulder at that moment.

The things she told me while drowning in a river of tears shocked me and even made me question myself if I wasn't blind for a few years, especially for the past months.

How I managed to call her a lucky brat, who has a perfect family, and life and even achieved her dreams so easily.

When in reality it was her good acting or my blindness that made her look like a princess from a fairytale.

I knew her family collapsed because of her parent's divorce. Jace told me, at the time they were just starting to get to know each other as friends.

But I never sensed that Ophelia's mother is killing herself by overdosing on her medicine.

It's not even about the fact that no one told me this. It's about me never watching deeper into Ophelia's character.

Her eyes.

They were always saying something to me and others, but I didn't want to hear it.

No one was listening to her.

It hurts me deep down in my soul for the things I did to her in the past, for the words I harshly spat into her face, for every time I made her go through more pain than she already went through.

This dark spot in the depths of my soul will always hount me for the rest of my life.

I deserve that. I deserve worse.

Now we are at her dorm room. She's lying in my arms, sleeping.

I woke up a moment ago, but I can't leave her bed. I can't leave Ophelia.

She's tightly hugging me by my waist.

I pull her closer, making her place her head on my chest.

She's so beautiful even when she sleeps.

A real life princess, but not the one I thought she was.

I carefully brush a strand of hair from her soft face. Tiny freckles are decorating her nose and under her eyes.

Her heart shaped lips are slightly parted.

She's probably breathing through her mouth now. It's one of her habits, when she sleeps.

I'm glad she managed to fall asleep yesterday after a long day at the hospital. She was more than stressed because of her mother's condition, but her father taking her little brother with him broke her more.