🖥✨️- gi - xiaoae -

[ xiao x aether, romantic setting,
angst-comf , 1232 words ]

This fight wouldn't have been so tiring if our beloved traveler wasn't always so reckless. Ever since Aether left to Inazuma his lover had been anxious. Anxious and always ready if He called for him.

Aether dropped to his knees, afraid if he was still standing his world would spin around so much he couldn't catch his own breath. Paimon was caught off guard by this did her very best to get him away from enemies and check on him.

However, she halted in her movements when she saw just how exhausted Aether's eyes were. The one set of irises full of bravery, joy and hope were lacking their sparkles then.
A strong sense of regret swallowed up the Traveler. He felt like this was the end of it all; he won't meet Lumine again, his lover nor the world the siblings' original destination was. He won't be able to tell his sister just how much he improved, all the wonderful sights he had seen and the people he met. It was all over. As his consciousness faded into an abyss, his whole body's tension melted away. His limbs falling to the ground, his head meeting a rock pillar Paimon oh-so cautiously put him before.

Paimon kept calling his name and just kept talking ever since they reached that quiet segment of Teyvat. She just wanted to see if her friend would react to any of it. In her last exasperation, Paimon called out Xiao's name. Then his old name he once shared with the both of them. But it was no use, Xiao was thinking Paimon was messing with him.

After many many long minutes that felt like eternity did her summoning work. Lo and behold, the adeptus' annoyed features slipped into pure shock; his eyes grew wider and wider as he realised his mistake.

As he kneeled down next to his lover tears started to dampen his face. Paimon couldn't see that as her face had tears rolling down it, making the outside world quite blurry.

Then it hit Xiao as he held the boy's hand. A faint sense of pulsing on his wrist. Aether had a little time left. Maybe... just maybe Morax could help them. The adeptus brought his other hand to his face, wiping the tears out of his eyes he tapped his temple with a finger, trying to reach the god of contracts.

Nobody knows for sure but Zhongli the reason what made the retired god help. He summoned the best of Liyue Region's healers and magicians in his favour to be ready when his adeptus teleported into the city. As Zhongli looked at the sight, his heart twisted.

Xiao, holding carefully his merely living lover in his arms, his head casted down to monitor him.

Paimon floating next to them with a sorrowful expression, also gazing at Aether.

It had been an hour since the boy was getting medicine and was under supervision. One of the many helpers walked up to Zhongli, not minding that Xiao had been so anxious the god put his arm around the boy's shoulder.
Turning directly to her temporary boss, she told Zhongli the traveler's life was only in the hands of his own. Whether he regains consciousness it was all up to Aether...

Xiao rudely cut into the conversation of adults, not even caring about manners, "Can I go in to see him?"

The woman nodded as her workers left the room Aether was taken into. Xiao left in an instant, preparing his heart for the worst as he stepped in. His lover's torso was cut off and just thrown into a far corner. Aether's whole upper body was wrapped up in gauze just like his arms and even most fingers.

The omnious smell of Aether's blood stirred up his stomach, not wanting to smell it any more but wanting to stay and support his lover. Even just with his presence.
Xiao remembered when his guardian had told him how fragile mere humans are. Mortals only needed to break a few bones and they could pass away just by that alone.

As his gaze was lifted inch by inch, could a cooling towel seen neatly placed on his lover's forehead. He picked up a stool and sat down onto it before the traveler's bedside, taking a minute to look at him once again.
Xiao always wanted to be strong for others but when it came to Aether he felt so powerless, so lost in pleasant feelings that blossomed inside his chest. He took His hand. All he could muster up were apologies and tiny confessions. His voice was awfully quiet; his confident tone was non-existing anymore.

After a while his resentment came to a halted second, he leaned forward and placed a small peck to his lover's lips. Naïvely hopeful prayers left his mouth as he continued changing the soaking fabric every now and then.

He kept Aether's hand in his own, watching his chest painfully leisurely rising and dropping. As if Xiao was waiting for the stroke of grace - his beloved's heart to steadily stop. This went on for three whole weeks with Zhongli checking in every two days and bringing Xiao some food.
Both of them knew Xiao wouldn't even look at his plate, let alone leaving his beloved alone for even a millisecond. He was afraid if he did leave for just a minute, Aether would snuff out his last breath with him not being there for Him.

It was foolish to think that but Xiao couldn't help it.

Then, on one night, the traveler began to gain consciousness. His finger in the adeptus' hand moved a little. It wasn't such a big thing but Xiao sensed hope. It gave him faith to believe in Aether.
In a little time Aether slipped into fully being aware of himself and his environment. His vision was still fading in and out, but he could make out his partner beside him in tears.

"Next time, please- please, call my name," he sniffled, helping his lover up as He wanted to sit up. Even if it was painful. Aether felt guilt overpowering him as he saw the adeptus' broken gaze, the hurt in his eyes and worry in his posture.
He squeezed Xiao's hand as if saying 'yes.' Not long after the adeptus fell onto the edge of the bed, his shoulders began to shake as he cried. His newfound emotions exhausted him greatly.

Aether patiently kept patting his lower back, waiting for the boy's cries to die down. He didn't have much energy to talk well above whispering. When Xiao somewhat calmed down, Aether spoke up in a comforting tone, "Can I... give Xiao a hug?"

Xiao hearing that sat on the edge of the bed instead of his stool and did what his beloved suggested. Feeling Aether between his arms wasn't enough, so he gently lifted Him into his lap and enclosed Aether in his arms again. Aether felt safe and Xiao was finally relieved.

"I deeply apologise, Xiao. I was selfish," the traveler whispered.

"No, I know you didn't want me to get hurt. But I love you so much," Xiao having figured out his emotions replied, also whispering.

"I missed Xiao greatly, too..," stated the traveler, melting his mind away into a peaceful sleep in his angel's arms.