🌿🏝 - mio - shun -

- au -
- 1527 words -
- only two years of age gap
american school theme -

s h u n ' s . p . o . v :

I have many memories regarding Mio from the very beginning. At first, I just occasionally helped him out with some food and some school books, so he didn't have to spend his money on school stuff. But soon enough I fell for him so much we started dating.

I think I was around twenty years old, when he waited in front of my apartment for me, but I'm not sure. Let's just say it happened around there.

***

"Shouldn't you be at school?" I confusedly asked him. Gazing at his clothes it was obvious he ran all the way, in the rain, to my place.

"I got kicked out.. but, it was an accident! I.. swear.." He was trembling all over, his eyes full of glistening tears and long lost hope. I thought he came to me in high hopes that I can fix the problem, whatever it takes. He wasn't wrong, actually. I quite favoured him back then and that never ever changed.

His knees gave up on him, tossing Mio into the hard cement beneath us. "Can you tell me what happened? I'm not mad, I just wanna know."

I kneeled down to him, to sympathize and to have a good look on his face. His eyes were tired and bloody red, probably because of the situation. He never came to my place alone - I was wondering how did he even know where I lived at that time.
Mio took a shaky breath in and out, before looking at me, right in the eyes. He adverted his gaze a couple of times, probably out of nervousness and shame, but after all, he told me.
"I got a little fallen behind class, but-" he hesitated, but I knew him to not assume because he was lying, but because it was an unpleasant period of time he didn't want to talk about.
"I'm really sorry..! I really am.." he struggled out somehow.
I closed my eyes for a second, then opened them just to see him dropping his gaze, frozen in his spot, probably waiting for punishment.

Punishment that never came.

I wasn't well-known for giving lectures and using physical methods towards anybody. Unlike Mio's adoptive family.

I extended my right palm to his shoulder that began to shake even more, and not because of the rain, but the fear of what I was going to say. "Let's get inside and have dry clothes on, shall we?"

He looked up to me in an instant, I could see myself in his eyes, but not for long, because he wiped the tears away, somehow getting the strength to stand up. I began to chase my keys out of my pocket, opening the door I let him in first, after closing the door, I just noticed how soaked my clothes were as well as his.

"Are you.. angry?" He asked in a careful, uneasy tone, standing in front of me.

"No."

"Why?"

"Because I know you. And because you have every right to be anywhere else right now. It's just uncalculated that you came to me, that is all."

"A- are you weirded out?"

"No, I'm really not," I said taking the keys into my pocket again, and taking my coat off, hanging it up on the hooker. I noticed he stood still just like before, his hands are still trembling. I stepped forward, embracing his china-like fragile soul, moving my hand on his back up and down to comfort him. He wrapped his small arms around me as well, starting to break down again.
I felt so sorry for him, his life wasn't easy, but he was lucky I always was around and he could reach out to me if he wanted to. Always.

I hummed a couple of comforting words to him, in an attempt to stop him from having a meltdown again. He probably had one before I even got there. The flow of misunderstanding slowly drifted away from him, but Mio clearly wasn't in the mental state to let him be alone again for the rest of the day. Thankfully I was free all week, given that I had my night shifts all done when I got home.

I ruffled his hair as I broke our hug, and he gave me a weary smile. His eyes were still glistening, but his mind and heart eased a little, or so it seemed.
After we both changed shirts and pants to be in dry and comfortable clothes, we snuggled up in my bed. I was extremely tired by the time I saw my bed again, but I knew I had to be there for my scared little soul as well, so I tried to not fall asleep.

The shutters were halfway down and my blanket was all over me, when I opened my eyes again, feeling a little drowsy, but alerted.
Mio had turned the shutters down, probably locked the front door and all the windows, because none of them were open. It take me a couple minutes to process that I was alone in my bedroom, but I remembered clearly that both of us came in.

So where was Mio? - I asked myself.
I slipped out of the warm blanket's grasp to check on him. I found the crownette in a corner of the living area, which you could call a living room, but in the meantime you can't call it that.

On the floor, back propped against a wall, gazing into the mere nothing in front of him, his knees held close to his chest by his hands was my boy.

Was he feeling alone?

Probably, since I fell asleep, like an idiot.

Was he feeling numb?

I wasn't sure.

About that I never was.

He masked it so good I hardly could ever see it nor hear it. Like that feeling didn't even exist. That was the only one true colour of him that I could never know, or even guess, because of the uncountable possible outcomes of his.

I wasn't sure...

I went for it, by sitting beside him, gazing at him, until he noticed.

"Do you feel better here?" I asked in a very patient tone. I didn't want to force out an answer. I didn't get any verbal reply, only a small head shake, and a steadily lengthened out hand in my direction, which wasn't trembling as much as before, but it still was shaking a little.

"Come with me for a second, if that is alright," I asked him, and suprisingly, Mio stood up, grabbing my hand and intertwining our fingers.

I led him back to my room and made him sit at the edge of my bed. I sat down in front of him, too, maintaining eye contact as much as I could. He was about to break it in every three seconds. "Look, all I want to do is help you. After all, you came to me and I really appreciate it, so please don't be alone, even if I fall asleep for a while. I'll try my hardest not to, so please stay here. Can you do that for me?"

Then again, he just bowed his head a few times, still unable to speak. As I looked into his eyes, I could see, that he had a mask on.
He didn't want me to get in and it pained me a little, but he was more important than my feelings at that certain hour.

I remember it was around four p.m., when we laid down. Mio was getting tired, probably because all the emotions he had to handle and honestly, who could blame him? It was the first year of him living in America after his legal guardian moved to The States.
After we laid in bed for ten minutes or so, Mio began to share with me what on his mind was. "Am I a bad person, Shun?"

"Why would you be? No, of course not," I replied as I began to comb his hair with my fingers. It was just half as soft as I remembered. But it was just as messy as always.

"Then why do I feel like I am?" He asked, squeezing my other hand, which was in his own.

"If you were a bad person, you wouldn't take the damage 'you did'. Do you think just because of one grade or result I view you differently?"

"I always disappoint you.."

"That's not true, and you goddamn know that! Quit with this self-destructive nonsense and let me love you for today. Please..."

He crawled closer to me on the soft sheets, slowly letting go of my hand to embrace the upper half of my body. He was content just by listening to my heart as it beated in a steady harmony.

I couldn't handle the thought I wasn't there when he needed me probably two hours before we met, and the temporary guilt made me pull him even closer to myself to slowly drift away into the dreams of mine, again.