41. Vows and Dancing

Severus sat in Lucius Malfoy's study, the students were in bed, it was a Saturday, and he wasn't going to be missed since Barty Jr. began taking on his patrols so he could spend more time with his Puff. Granted the dunderhead kept wiggling his eyebrows suggestively as he did so. So he sat with his friend and soon to be father-in-law as the blond was describing the mayhem the Dark Lord wrought upon the Wizengamot with only his words.

"It was, as Black so eloquently put it, fucking mental. Barnasses had to get his cloak tested along with about twenty other members to see if they were contraband before we could even continue on with the topic." The man pinched the bridge of his nose as he relayed that particular bit. "And when it came back that just about all of them were the skins of dead wixen about all of them shat themselves. Black motioned that each cloak that was found to be an animagus pelt was to be returned to the families of the animagi that were the cloaks with heavy fines leveled against the people who bought the cloaks to go towards conservation efforts that were seconded by our Lord and put to motion immediately."

"It would seem this session had been productive." Severus coolly stated not knowing what to say.

"About fifty of the ones collected in the ministry were Lestranges, another fifty-one were Blacks, the other 216 Dire Cloaks were distributed to the other 28 along with a handful from outside of that." Lucius sighed, he himself had to deal with about twenty-seven, great aunt Selene included. "After the session closed, Black approached our Lord and offered an alliance between their houses since in the future Potter would be Lord of the House of Black as well and it wouldn't do to split hairs."

"Suspiciously wise on his part."

"He also wanted to get a feel of the man borrowing his cousin's womb." A voice from the door of the study made both men turn and stand only to be stopped by the person raising his hand. "As well known Blacks are fiercely protective of their blood."

"Our Lord spun a most lovely tale, now you need to give her a locket that was enchanted by you to keep him an honest Lord." Lucius gave him a shit eating grin.

"I have a few I've never had the courage to send her over the years. About how old would you say it ought to be?" That earned stares from the other two men in the room. "What?"

"How old exactly is the oldest of them?" Lucius asked with narrowed eyes.

"The oldest is one I made during her second year, as a thank you for returning the one I gifted to Lily as a wedding present to me. It didn't meet my standards and it felt strange to give it to her since it felt like too personal a thing to give." Severus explained confused as to why Lucius looked ready to murder him. "There were no romantic feelings behind it, I just wanted to uphold Lily's wish of the girl having something to link them together. The protective enchantments on Lily's locket had expired anyway."

"Is that so? And the others?" Lucius looked to be making an effort to not growl.

"The color of the locket wasn't exactly right and one was dunked into an itching potion when Draco bumped into me when he was visiting as a toddler and it melted the hinges shut. I've a handful that the flowers engraved on them are just horrible and recently one that felt too personal a Christmas gift. I had an idea of another to make but the goblin over my vault made the observation that I can't keep hiding the ones I'm displeased with away in the depths of my vault to never see the light of day."

"How about you let her choose one, as a symbol of the next vow?" The dark lord suggested.

"Then it wouldn't be a vow, I have to feed her for it to settle properly and I don't want to risk her safety to do it."

"Right the poachers." The dark lord sighed in annoyance. "That aside, give her the one with the most recent enchantments on it as a gift for the Ball. Further, I'll be attending as Lord Slytherin so I can take this chance to meet with Potter about the matters of the Wizengamot."