Chapter 41

Oscar Pine instantly dropped. He watched the fist pass harmlessly over him. Part of him felt a little... satisfied, at finally dodging one of his mentor's punches.

But, unfortunately, he watched it too long.

The impact of a boot made itself known in his stomach, and he doubled over, dropping to his knees. The wind was blown out of him, and he wheezed from being kicked in the stomach.

"Gotta keep your guard up, kiddo."

Oscar glared up at one Qrow Branwen, who had taken it upon himself to train him.

"G-Got it. Did you really have to kick that hard?"

The man in question simply shrugged, "You know what they say pipsqueak. Pain is the best motivator."

You know Oscar, Qrow only wants what's best for you... the voice in his head, better known as Ozpin, said.

"Yeah, yeah."

Ozpin, after having told his story to everyone, had chosen to cede control to Oscar. Not that Oscar hated control over his own body; it was actually quite the opposite.

Oscar didn't show himself much, not anymore. Everyone kind of hated him.

It was surprising to Oscar how Qrow still kept himself in control. Part of him thought the entire team and Qrow would hate him and keep distance from him, but... they weren't that immature. They didn't blame him for anything that happened.

But, that didn't mean Ozpin didn't take the chance to teach him some tricks. He had the muscle memory of using that cane engraved in his arms and entire body, but he still needed to be able to use it.

Which was why Qrow and Taiyang were putting him on mobility and speed work, but also strength-based workouts, since he already had the technique down. They never even bothered allowing him to use the cane, because he was good at it.

"But," Qrow said, unknowingly snapping Oscar out of his own thoughts, "You've improved. Now, go do some strength training."

"Come on..." Oscar whined.

"Quit whining. Get your ass up off the ground, and give me those pushups," Qrow ordered sternly.

Oscar Pine sighed, and obeyed.

"You know, when Perce gets here, he's gonna really whoop you into shape," Qrow commented as he did the pushups.

"Y-Yeah?" Oscar grunted through the exertion, pushing himself back up.

"Mhmm. Guy's a real hardass, but he knows how to work 'em," Qrow smiled. It wasn't one of his teasing, snarky grins, but a real smile. Oscar had never seen him smile like that before.

"Been through a lot, Perc, that is. He's kind, compassionate, and strong. The typa guy you'd want to be by your side while fighting through a sea of Grimm. Never backs down, and just as fierce as they come. Divine."

Oscar finished his pushups, and his muscles gave out in pure exertion. He lay on the ground, taking in great mouthfuls of air.

He'd heard about Perseus Apollyon, if only briefly on the news. Part of him was frightened to be even near the guy, let alone meeting him. He commanded respect and fear, and was worshipped as a god. He had the power to back it up, too. The idea of meeting him was... scary, to say the least.

Don't worry, Oscar, Ozpin added, I know Perseus personally. Do not be afraid.

That just gave him even more reason to be afraid. Ozpin wasn't exactly straightforward, as Oscar had learned.