Chapter 5

"Percy!" someone hissed at him.

He tried to swat them away to go back to his peaceful slumber, but they wouldn't have it.

He groggily shook his head awake, noticing that Weiss was tapping his shoulder.

"Weiss-cream..."

"Ah! Mr. Jackson! Finally awake! Why were you sleeping in my class young man?"

Percy opened his eyes to see the ever so boisterous professor Port in front of him.

Truth be told, he did pay attention in every class... other than Port's. Oobleck's history lessons were so much more interesting, and Percy soaked up as much information as he could, often engaging the history professor in debates.

Port's class on the other hand...

Percy had been looking forward to it before the start of the year, until he promptly realized that the guy did nothing but tell massively exaggerated – and he meant massively exaggerated, like Nora levels of exaggeration – stories of zero relevance to Grimm studies. No one paid attention in his class anyway, and even Weiss herself could barely bring herself to pay attention. So he didn't, even if he knew he was 'setting a bad example'.

Sue him.

"Mr. Jackson! Do you have an explanation for why you are sleeping in my class?"

He was going to bullshit his way out of this... no way was he having detentions again. If there was anything Port loved, it was a good ol' story.

"Of course," Percy nodded sagely, "you see, I was tired."

"Tired is no excuse to be sleeping in my class!"

"No, no you misunderstand me, Professor Port. I hadn't explained why I was tired before the class simply because I didn't want to interrupt your legendary tale."

Port hummed in agreement, "Very well, I can respect that. Continue."

"Of course. Anyway, so I was going out for a late-night walk ya know? A late night walk around the school, but I had trailed off, and accidentally gone into the Emerald Forest!"

Percy could feel Weiss' heel grinding into his foot, as Blake also joined in, kicking him under the table.

Tch. Couldn't they appreciate his amazing story?

Percy continued, "Suddenly, hundreds upon hundreds of Grimm fell upon me! There I was, one man, surrounded by beowolves, ursai, deathstalkers, nevermores, king tajitus..."

"The odds were stacked against me. I was tired, alone, hungry, in need of sustenance, tired, and alone! And so, I pulled out my trusty Riptide, its blade glowing in the darkness. And so, like a skilled huntsman, I slashed my blade, the blood of Grimm covering me as I whirled through the masses!"

"Aye! A true huntsman indeed," Port agreed wholeheartedly. Percy's team looked at him as if he was insane or a genius.

"And with each swing of my blade, and the aid of my aura and semblance, I gained true confidence, trudging on to slay my foes and save the people! With the remains of Grimm after I had slaughtered them like sheep, I was atrociously tired. But, with every shadow, there is a light. I, fortunately, saw a Beacon at the end of the tunnel."

His teammates groaned, with only Yang grinning and giving a 'discrete' thumbs up to him. Port nodded along with his story, either not noticing, or not caring.

"I staggered, my tiredness catching up to me as the dried blood of Grimm stained my clothes. But those were the clothes of a true huntsman. As I staggered my way to the dorms, I yawned in the exhaustion I felt. But I was proud! Proud of having fended off hundreds of Grimm. I dedicated the slaughter of them to my great professor, Professor Port. One of the most esteemed professors at the prestigious Beacon! Only at my room, was I able to fall asleep in peace at 5 am. Professor Port, you inspired my heroism. I have only you to thank."