Believing In Love

Author's Note

Hello readers! I know it has been quite some time and I really am trying my hardest to find the right motivation, and as of the moment, continuing the other stories I have published in the past months is nearly possible. So, I will be trying my best to pull off another story. Please bare with me. Thank you.

Well, I hope you enjoy this.
__________________________________________________________

Christine Stevens POV:

There is no way that she will like this.

I can see the way she frowns, or even hear her voice and telling me that she does not like it. I am looking down on the possible gift that I am going to my girlfriend. "That's not worth it, Chris," my best friend says through the video call.

"How can you say it's not worth it? We have been together for years already and this would prove my love for her--" I was speaking and then she immediately stopped me.

"Me and my husband separated after 15 years. 7 years in school sweethearts, proposed after college then 8 years of fucking terror-- what more for you and that fucking whore? Jennifer is not the one."

My best friend doesn't really talk like this to anyone but then the conversation really goes like this when we talk. I swear to God. She tends to be the optimistic one with her other colleagues but damn-- she doesn't approve Jennifer at all.

Oh let me introduce myself first. My name is Christine Stevens and I am planning to propose to my girlfriend, Jennifer. We have been together after college and she was one of the ladies that really understands and knows every single part of me-- and then there goes my best friend who knows me most.

You want to know who is my best friend? Well.

It's Cate Blanchett-- I know.

Before you say and tell me how is it possible to have her as your best friend, I will tell you. Same. I wonder too. We met a bar where I was trying to cool off after me and Jennifer's first misunderstanding. She was the only one who was decent enough to talk to--

And I was drunk and sober Chris would not have the guts to talk to an A-List celebrity.

"You better not buy that!" She was screaming through the phone. "Sorry for being to harsh but--"

The blonde was surprised. She placed the speaker of her phone near her ear, clearly because I saw the ceiling of her room, and as soon as she heard the cashier sound from my end, Cate rolled her eyes and was clearly disappointed with my decision.

I know she is my best friend, but this time, I will be my making my decision.

A diamond ring was the gift. Jennifer really likes nice and shiny things and so I assume that she will love the gift but at the same time, I am overthinking that she might like it because-- maybe she likes it in a different style? I don't know.

I ended the call with Cate and when I stepped out of the shop, she called again and this time, it was just a call.

"You'll regret what you did, Chris--"

"I am sure enough, Cate," I told her through the phone. "I promised myself that I will be giving to the person that I am sure with. The person who will make me happy. Anyways, call you later."

I was sure that she was saying more words but then I decided to end the call because I just wanted too and I am very excited to propose to her.

***

She really makes me the happiest. She was there since day one and she was the only person who was there listening to every problem I had. She was the only person who supported me and she was the only person who surely won't judge me.

I am sure that I am doing the right thing.

Heading to the flight of stairs, I can feel my heart pumping fast and the sweat rolling down my forehead. As I was nearing my apartment to surprise her, I was practicing the words that I was going to tell her. There are no words for me to explain how grateful I am-- too cheesy.

You were the woman of my dreams and the woman of my future. I want to make it official, Jennifer--

It came to a point that I just gave up.

I will just allow the words to flow and let my heart control everything. Before entering the room, I went ahead and threw the paper bag, gripped on the small velvet box that has the ring, and took a deep breathe. My sweaty hands made contact on the gold door knob and then it was the time to turn it and opened the door.

As soon as I opened the door, there was a pair of boxers that surely wasn't mine laying on the carpeted floor. I didn't let go of the door yet, but I slowly closed it to avoid the loud noise.

The door was closed and there was a familiar voice filling the room. Shared deep breathes were heard and the sound of the bed creeking made things even more worse. As I reached to the bedroom, there I saw everything. Jennifer and someone. Not me.

It was not me.
__________________________________________________________

"You better stop that," her voice was heard. Cate picks up the bottle of beers that I scattered.

She picked up me at the side of the street. I did not know how Cate managed to track me but yes. Here I am in her apartment with her eldest son, Dashiell. Nice way for him to see me for the first time.

Drunk, wasted, and heart broken.

Dashiell picked up his bag and said his goodbyes to her mother while I was there trying to raise my arm and waive to him goodbye, but all I could think of at the moment was why I wasn't the one. I was there standing in front of them and she was happy. She was God damn happy with that fucking dude.

All those years of love was just shit and I feel like a portion of me-- wait, everything about me is just gone. I poured everything and there she was-- fucking someone else.

"I told you that fucking Jennifer--"

"Was nothing good? Right. You are the right one here, Cate. You are the winner and I am the loser." I told her.

The blonde stopped and placed the damp rag on the table. Cate took the bottle that was on my hand and then she placed it on the table. "You really think that you are the loser?"

"I should have listened to you, Cate. I'm so fucked up--"

"You are never the loser, sweetheart." She pulled me closer and I started crying on her shoulder. Her warm caress meets my skin, making myself melt into her even more. "We will find you a better one."

"I don't believe in love anymore, Cate."

The tears just kept on flowing and I can slowly feel my body getting weaker and weaker. Cate held my hand tightly and reassured me. "I'm here, baby."