Chapter 11

A silence filled the car for a few moments. Micah was the one to answer my question.

"As you know, when you meet your mate they smell like your favourite thing. You feel sparks with every touch from them." He began talking while I listened intently.

"You may only observe your mate until they are 18." Firosa added in with a sad note to his voice.

"It's only in rare circumstances that you can tell them before... this is one of them." Micah informed me.

"Wait... so... no I'm confused..." I said, trying to figure out what they were saying.

"We're all mates." Firosa simplified the sentence with a smile. My jaw dropped at his comment

"How's that even possible?" I asked no one in particular.

"We don't know, all we know is we're going to be happy together." Micah stated firmly with a determined look.

I sat there processing for a moment and then accidentally spoke my thoughts, "well this turned out well for me. I've had a crush on you forever Micah."

Micah turned around giving me a shocked look while Firosa looked unsurprised. "What do you mean you've had a crush on me forever?!" Micah asked in a high pitched voice.

I shrugged and said, "since we were 10. Can we get food now?" I waited for one of them to respond and Firosa started laughing.

Micah turned around and started driving, still in shock about my statement.

"Why didn't you say anything?" He asked me after a while. He looked at Firosa and I through the mirror.

"Because I didn't want to ruin our friendship. I like being around you and I've never wanted that to change. But I'd really like some food." I added the last part with a teasing smile despite the fact I was deadly serious and about to eat Firosa's hand at this rate.

This time Micah chuckled with Firosa at my comment and said, "all right. We'll pick something up. But, for the record, I had a crush on you first."

"No way!" My jaw dropped as I spoke. I could see Micah smiling teasingly from the front seat thanks to the mirrors.

I ended up shrugging and closing my eyes to lean completely on Firosa. I shifted so I was in a comfortable position and Firosa moved to make sure I was.

I felt myself rise and fall with his breathing. My own started to match his as I felt myself start to drift off to sleep.

***

I woke when Micah had pulled over and turned around to face us. "We're at the grocery store, what do you want to eat?"

"Meat." Replied Firosa simply. I gave him a disgust filled look as I moved away. "What?" He asked, not sure what he'd said wrong.

"That's gross. Any kind of salad you can find please!" I told Micah.

"Thought that was the case, just making sure." He told us. I nodded and went back to leaning on Firosa, leaving him very confused.

Micah went into the store and only took about 10 minutes during which I sleepily talked to Firosa about random things that popped into my mind.

Micah came back and handed me a salad and Firosa chicken tenders. I scrunched up my nose at the smell of his food.

I decided to ignore my disgust and started eating my salad. It was really good, there was goat cheese, cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, tiny nuts, and spinach in the green and purple kinds. I moaned happily at how good it tasted, smiling broadly with pure joy.