Chapter 23

We finally got home and I happily unbuckled my seatbelt, moving onto Firosa's lap without any hesitation. He seemed a bit surprised by my actions, but quickly realized I wanted to hug him and snuggle.

He didn't waste a second to wrap me in his embrace and I smiled as he did, taking in his strong scent, reminding me of the forest, mixed with the ocean.

Micah opened the car door to see the two of us and he smiled at the sight. He said, "c'mon, we can snuggle together on the couch. Though you'll probably fall asleep again Al, given how tired you were today."

I started to protest, "I will not! I'm going to stay awake for the rest of the day!"

Firosa laughed at my words and sarcastically said, "sure Princess. Whatever you say."

I frowned up at him and he picked me up bridal style, getting out of the car with Micah making sure my leg wasn't hurt in the process. I clung to his neck, trusting him to hold me but still slightly scared of falling.

Micah locked the car and opened the door for us, shutting and locking it once we were all inside the house. Firosa carried me to the couch and sat down with me on his lap, Micah following us into the room and turning on the TV.

Micah sat down beside us and I moved to sit on Micah's lap, and Firosa gave me a dramatically hurt look. "I'm not good enough for the Princess, this brings shame to my whole family!"

I laughed at his words and retorted back, "if you're going to be sarcastic then I'm going to sleep on Micah."

Micah chuckled at our childishness, and I hugged him tightly, hiding my head in the crook of his neck. His laugh had rumbled through his chest and I found it to be an oddly comforting feeling as I got closer to him. Micah wrapped himself around me while Firosa put one arm behind Micah's neck, and the other around me.

I yawned and tried my best to stay awake, but my eyes were starting to flutter closed. I heard Firosa ask, "do you want to watch a documentary or something?" Which I perked up upon hearing and nodded yes excitedly.

Firosa grabbed the remote and I turned around so I could face the TV, still on Micah's lap with his arms wrapped around me. Firosa handed me the remote and I looked through the documentary options, eventually picking one about African animals.

I happily watched the documentary, now only a little bit tired. Micah shifted underneath me and I ignored him, wanting to watch the movie. He shifted again after a moment and I was more annoyed with him, but ignored it again. The third time he moved I lightly slapped his wrist and said, "quit moving!"

"Sorry, but I can't feel my legs!" He protested causing me to snort with laughter.

I smiled as I told him, "fine. Spread your legs."

He looked surprised at my words, but I couldn't figure out why. He did as I said and I sat in-between his legs as I leaned back onto his chest, going back to happily watching the documentary.

The narrator was talking about antelope, and the TV showed them grazing on grass peacefully. The screen switched to show a pride of lions near by, and I anxiously fidgeted with my hands, shifting as I worried about the antelope, especially Jeff, who was my favourite of the baby antelopes.

The lions started to hunt the antelope and Micah put his hand in front of my eyes just before everything got bloody. I turned and hid my face in his sweater, crying as I knew Jeff was being eaten.