Chapter twelve

I turned to look at Naomi. "What do you mean?" I ask.
"Just surviving won't do shit in the long run." She said.
"What do you mean?" I say again.
"We have to kill him off for good so this never happens again." She says.
"But how? I mean, the thing only comes to kill people. He's like a shadow, we can't kill him." I say.
"Not physically. However, I saw this flashlight giving a message in Norse Code. It said there are 6 places, and if we do the task at each place, we will survive."
"But we can't all go separately, that's just the easiest way to die, and all together we won't have time, so if we split into pairs than everyone and have someone else to rely on. But then that leaves 2 groups of 3, and 3 of our people are injured."

Naomi pulled 3 small potions out of her pocket. They all look the same. She then said, "2 of these are healing potions. One of these are poison. If Quinn, Luke, and Isaac each take one, 1 of them will die, but that will give the chance for 2 of them to survive and be able to do this."

I looked over at the 3 injured, and I didn't want any of them to die, but I knew we had to do this. "Fuck it," I said, "let's do this."

Naomi gave all 3 of them the potion. Each of them carefully removed the cap and drank it. I saw Quinn get up, and I was relieved. Now it was down to Luke and Isaac. Part of me really wanted Luke to survive, but the other part of me felt bad about Isaac and wanted him to survive as well.

Anticipation was strong, and I realized I had started biting my nails. I was starting to give up hope and think 2 were poisoned and only one was safe, when i heard Luke say, "River." I was happy, but my heart sunk knowing that Isaac died. Yeah, he made my life a living hell, but there's still something in me that feels guilty.

I saw River hug Luke really tightly. They looked into each others eyes for a second, then River slightly smiled, and leaned into a kiss with Luke. Their lips touched as they closed there eyes, and River put his hand on Luke's cheek. After a couple seconds, they pulled away slightly, and rested their foreheads on each others.

I went over to Isaac, and I saw Quinn holding his hand crying while Isaac took his last breaths. "I'm so sorry." I said.
Isaac, being weak turned his head and said, "I was a douche. I wished I could make it up to you."
"It's okay. Even though you treated me like shit, you don't deserve the shit you've gone through today." I said.
As he sniffled and wiped away his tears, Quinn said "I love you man." Xavier then hugged him until his pulse stopped. Quinn and Xavier hugged each other as they cried on the others shoulder.

Naomi looked down at the grass, as I saw a tear fall from her eye. I could tell she wanted to say something, but she didn't want to intrude on the moment. A few moments later, once everyone was done with their grieving, she spoke. "Everyone split into pairs. I'll assign you where to go."
"Who is gonna be the group of 3?" I asked.
"Well Finn, since you're kind of the leader now, I was gonna give you the most important task of all, unless you want me to."
"Depends. What is it?"
"Well, theirs cameras at all the different locations. If you could stay back and look at the cameras to make sure nobody else dies or to talk to people to help them complete their task, that would be great."

I took a deep breath. I didn't want anyone to be left behind. I didn't want you be left behind, but I knew Naomi was right. If someone had to do it, it should be me. I mean I know basically everyone, and I don't care if I die.

I nodded, and Naomi pointed to where the cameras are. We all went over there, and they split off into groups. Luke and River, Rylie and Quinn, and Naomi and Xavier. Rylie and Quinn seems like a very strange duo, but I know that Naomi has a crush on Xavier, and Rylie doesn't mind who she's with.

     Since River used to be on swim team, they were confident in their skills to be able to do the task there. Luke's also a pretty strong swimmer, so it worked out. Rylie and Quinn headed to a maze type task since Rylies a genius, and Quinn is pretty smart too. Naomi and Xavier went to a shack. I'm not sure what they have to do there, but they said they'd figure it out, so I sort of trust them. They all split off to their destinations, and started their tasks. I just had to figure out how to speak to them which was fairly easy.

     I was waiting for them to arrive to their first destinations when I saw sudden darkness. I saw a quick flash, but they were quicker than usual. I couldn't figure out any of the tasks, but I saw a gun for the last task. What could it mean? Is that resembling us killing the monster, or does that mean someone else must face a horrific fate and die. I don't want anyone else to die, but we might have to.