Chapter eight

Luke started tearing up as well. "Is there really  no escape? Are we really all gonna die?"
     "No Luke, I promise we're not going to die," I said, trying to reassure him, but mostly I was trying to convince myself, "I'll make sure you and River and Rylie can make it home, I promise I'll help you guys out of here."
"But what about you?" he said innocently.
"I'll be fine." I said as I gave him a hug. He rested his head on my shoulder and I gave him a little pat on the back. Rylie and River also joined in and gave him a hug. Evelyn kneeled down by him and started reassuring him. The moment however didn't last long, as we saw a shadow quickly move. Isaac started slowly walking towards the shadow when Evelyn said, "how stupid are you? Never go anywhere alone or you will get killed. Everyone with half a brain knows that."
"Sorry," he said, "I'll just wait with you guys until your ready." He said as he inched closer to us. I gave him a glare, but he didn't seem to notice. Xavier and Quinn walked towards him and they seemed to be whispering something. I looked at them confused for a second but then Luke took a deep breath in. "River," he hesitated, "can I talk to you?"
     River nervously replied, "y-yeah, su-sure."
     Luke looked at them, "I need to confess something."
     "What? Is it... bad?"
     "Yes? No? I don't know to be honest."
     "You can tell me. I'm here for you."
     "I-I don't know how to tell you this but I-."
     "It's okay Luke, I promise I won't be upset." Luke closed his eyes and sighed as River grabbed his hand. "You don't have to worry, I promise I won't react negatively to it."
     Luke took a deep breath and slowly opened his eyes. "River I- I like you. I really really like you."
     "What are you saying?"
     "I like you in a more than friend way." He started blushing, let go, then started to turn around when River gently grabbed his shoulder. "Luke I like you too." Luke turned back to him and looked at him. "You don't have to say that to make me feel better, I just wanted to let you know before we die."
      "We won't die Luke, and I'm not just saying it. I like you a lot. I realized it last year but I kept telling myself I'd never have a chance with you."
     "You actually do?"
     "Of course I do. Finn and Rylie can back me up."
     "They've been talking about you nonstop for the past 5 months," I said.
     "Yup," Rylie replied, "nonstop." River and Luke nervously looked at each other. River leaned in for a kiss, and Luke just kind of closed his eyes and let it happen. It was quite romantic. Luke and River just hugged each other tightly for about a minute after. Neither of them seemed to want to let go, but they realized they had to since they were in  a life or death situation. They both smiled at each other and blushed hard. I guess when your life is on the line, being able to spend what might be your last moments alive with the person you've liked for a while is oddly more comforting than awkward.