Chapter four

It was Sunday. I was still unsure about the whole thing, but I wasn't gonna back out. I paced back and forth in my room, thinking about the hope that my sister and her friends could get justice.

I heard my phone ringing. It was from Luke. I picked it up right away, thinking it would be something to clear my head from all of this. "Hi," I said, how are-"
"Ethan is dead." He said.
     "What?" I asked.
     "Ethan is dead." He said again.
     "Ethan who? What happened to him?"
     "Ethan brown. Last night his body went into shock while he was getting a glass of water. He completely fell over, and his dad called 911, but they didn't come in time. His heart wasn't beating, his lungs weren't working, and he was frozen still. The doctors tried everything they could, but nothing worked."

     I was shocked at what I was hearing. Why him? Then I remembered, he was the only one who didn't agree. It might just be a coincidence, I mean, he always sat out in gym. He probably just had some sort of medical condition. Or at least, that's what I hope. Not that I wanted him to die or anything, it's just that it makes no sense for anything else to have happened to him.

     "I can't believe that happened. I hope his family is doing okay."
     "I'm not sure. I mean, his girlfriend Naomi Bridges ran away after she found out."
     "Damn, I hope nothing bad happens to her."
     "Yeah, same."
     "Well, I should probably let you go."
     "Wait, would you be able to come over to my house and practice with our band later?"
     "What time?"
     "5:30ish. My mom already said it was fine, and she said she'll order pizza for us."
     "Yeah, I can come over. I mean, my mom won't even notice if I'm out of the house. She's not sober enough to even treat me like her daughter, so it would be best to get out of the house."
     "I'm sorry."
     "What?"
     "I'm sorry."
     "For what?"
     "The way your mom abuses you. You don't deserve any of it. If you ever need to talk, I'll be here. I don't want you to suffer, it's hard enough as it is just knowing what your mom does, if you ever need to, you can always come over to my house. My mom doesn't mind."
     "Thanks Luke."
     "See you later?"
     "Yup."
     "Bye Finny."
     "Bye Luke."

     I went downstairs and made my mom breakfast again. I made an omelette with cheese, bacon, avocado, and tomato. I made her a coffee with milk and 2 sugar cubes. I knocked on the door like I always do, and turned the knob to see her awake and watching tv.

     "Hi Finn!" She said, "thanks for making me breakfast." I handed her the coffee and eggs, while I slowly stepped back while she took a bite. She chewed slowly, as I covered my face with my hands, afraid she was going to throw something at me. Instead she said, "this is delicious! I really appreciate it Finn. You're always so helpful." I was confused. She never complimented me or congratulated me on anything. I wanted to ask her if she was okay, but I didn't want to ruin the moment.

     I left the room and made myself a bagel and scrambled eggs with the leftover piece of bacon. I ate breakfast in my room while watching tv. I didn't know what I was watching, but I was too lazy to change the channel, so I just delt with it. When I finished eating, I put my plate in the dishwasher, then went back upstairs. I threw on a t-shirt and my favorite pair of ripped jeans, then started reading. Somewhere in the book, I got really into it, and I got over half way done with the book, then I realized it was already 4.

     I rushed downstairs to do my chores, but I saw my mom. There was 3 empty cans of beer on the floor, plus another one she was opening. I did my chores as quickly as I could without her noticing, then I ran to my room, grabbed my guitar, and went outside without my mom noticing. I grabbed my skateboard and rode as fast as I could to Luke's. By the time I got there, it was almost 4:30, but I didn't want to go back home.

     I knocked on the door, and his mom opened up. "Luke," she yelled, "Finn's here." He came running down the stairs as I walked inside. "Hi Finn." Luke said.
     "Can we talk?" I asked.
     "Sure. Let's go to my room." We went upstairs and he closed the door. "What happened?"
     "Well, nothing yet today, but my mom was in the middle of her 4th beer, and I forgot to do my chores, so I did them as quickly as I could then got the fuck out of the house and came over here."
"I'm sorry. Hey, at least you don't have to worry about your mom hitting you. If you feel comfortable, you can spend the night."
"No it's fine, my mom won't be able to stay alive if I stay over here forever. Plus, yesterday she already injured me, and I almost knocked her out of her consciousness. I don't think she'll harm me, especially if I go back home late at night when she's just out of it."
"Wait, how did you get injured? I rolled up my baggy sleeve and showed the scar on my arm. "See, it's not that bad"
"At least it's not that big, and your fine now."
     "Yeah."
    "Anyways, do you want to play Mario kart?"
     "Sure." We played for a while, then Rylie showed up, and we went into the basement to set up. Right when we finished setting up, River arrived. They set up their stuff. We ate the pizza Luke's mom ordered, and then we practiced. We finished practicing at around 7:30. We all talked to each other for about half an hour before we left. Me, River, and Rylie left at the same time, but since Rivers house is the same way as mine, and Rylies is the opposite of ours, me and River talked for a bit.

     "Hey Finn, can I tell you something?" They said.
     "Yes, of course," I replied, "what do you want to talk about?"
     "I don't know how to put this."
     "Is it... bad?"
     "I honestly don't know."
     "You can tell me anything River, I'm here for you."
     "Okay." They took a deep breath and closed their eyes for a second. "I like someone, but I don't know if they like me back, but I'm scared to tell them because they're one of my friends and I don't want to ruin anything."
     "Who do you have a crush on?"
     "I'm afraid you'll laugh at me."
     "I swear I won't. I'll be here to support you."
     "Okay," they said again, taking another deep breath in. "I like Luke. I've had a crush on him for about a year, but I've been trying to convince myself I don't like him, but no matter what I do I like him even more but like I said I don't want to ruin anything because he's one of my best friends and it would make things awkward for the band."
     "You like Luke, but your afraid to tell him because of the band and it would make things awkward?"
     "Yeah." They said under their breath. I could see their face getting red.
     "Well first of all I think you guys would make a cute couple, and second of all I'll support your decision. I mean, you never know, he could like you back. I promise I won't tell him, I'll let you do that, but I'll be here for you whenever you decide you want to tell him, okay?"
     "Alright." I continued to slowly rise my skateboard while they walked by me for about another minute before we got to their house. I gave them a hug before going to my house. I went inside as quickly as I could, ran to my room, and locked the door. I continued reading a few more chapters while listening to the heathers soundtrack, and then put my pajamas on and went to bed.