A Call from Motherland

At the Chola Camp,

Nandhini was taken to the camp by the chola soldiers. When she reached the camp she was greeted by Malayaman who was waiting for her.

" What is the reason of calling me here Ayya? " Asked Nandhini. " Nandhini I know that what I say will definitely break your heart but please kindly listen. " told Malayaman.

" Sure but please tell me what it is first " asked Nandhini.

" As you know that Adhita karikalan is the crown prince of the chola empire he has to go back to thanjai" started Malayaman.

" So " asked Nandhini confused. " He can't stay with you here" told Malayaman.

" If he can't stay with me then I would give my life to go with him." told Nandhini proudly. Malayaman shook his head and told, "thats what I dont want "told malayaman.

"what? Why? " asked Nandhini in confusion. "Yes devi, I want you to stay away from Karikalan"told Malayaman shocking Nandhini. " But why ? "asked Nandhini in a broken voice

"Nandhini , Karikalan is the crown prince but you are just a poor orphan girl who lives in the house at the Temple's pond . we cant let an orphan girl ascend the throne."told Malayaman. The word "orphan" broke Nandhin's heart. even though her father was alive.

She was told by her father that her mother had died due to illness when she was three years old.

" But I truly love him " nandhini told in a mear whisper. " please Nandhini understand " pleaded Malayaman holding Nandhini's hands. Malayaman left Nandhini's hands and saw her face.

Her face didn't look convinced, Malayaman thought that this has to ended in the tough way. " If you don't follow my orders, your friend Urvashi won't be alive the next moment you talk to karikalan. My soldiers will always be watching you. Careful my child" warned Malayaman.

Nandhini didnt know how to react , one side of her felt sad and another angry. She can't let Urvashi's life fall in danger because of her and karikalan.

Nandhini thought of telling him her true identity to Malayaman, she thought that this was not the right time to say that to him, all her words would be deaf to his ears.

She remained silent. Malayaman asked the soldiers to leave Nandhini back to her house.

Nandhini was left there by the soldiers. Nandhini was deep in her thoughts that she didn't even notice that the sun has risen.

Nandhini was sleepless the whole night ,kept staring at the wall. In the morning, Urvashi came chirping in to the Hut .

She called Nandhini's name but Nandhini didn't notice her . So finally, Urvashi shook Nandhini awake.

Nandhini just looked at Urvashi and then stared blankly at the wall. " Akka, what happen?" Asked Urvashi. Nandhini didn't reply. Urvashi repeated again " Akka, what happen?", Nandhini stayed motionless.

Urvashi started to shake Nandhini. Nandhini became annoyed and shouted " LEAVE ME ALONE" at Urvashi. Urvashi was startled by Nandhini's words . Tears filled Urvashi's eyes. Seeing that made Nandhini's heart ache.

" Urvashi I-I didn't mean that." Nandini tried to convince Urvashi but Urvashi left from there crying. " Urvashi don't go, I am sorry " pleaded Nandhini. But Urvashi didn't listen.

Nandini smacked her forehead and sat down cursing at her foolishness.

By this time Karikalan who was sleeping in the tent also woke up. He went out to see some soldiers outside acting suspicious. They didn't greet him as usual, didn't look in his eyes even when some greeted, Karikalan frowned at them.
"What happen?why are you looking at me like that?" asked karikalan.
" Nothing ilavarase" told the soldier as they bowed and left from there.