LIFE

"Are we having a fight?"

Han didn't say anything so I pathetically limped to where he was, by the bench, helping re-structure the reckless plan that everyone agreed with since now, we have Elena and Hobbs as an addition to our little game. It's not easy going over it on a single night but despite the growing tension, I managed to pull Han out of there and he turned, sighing as he helped carry me the rest of the way back to the couch while cradling my sore rib. "Stop moving." He said, evidently pissed off.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked, trying to get his undivided attention because he wasn't looking at me still while leaning on the beam right across.

"No." Han said, his jaw clenching tightly. "I'm mad that you wanted to keep going even if you almost got yourself killed." I felt kinda bad that he had to see me that way when they got back from not hearing anything from us for hours, and then found that we'd been ambushed, bloodied, and beaten like a wretched mule on a hot summer day. I would've been equally furious if he did the same thing, but this is the occupational hazard we've signed and prepared our lives for since we accepted this job, or any other that we did before. "You gotta think about your safety for once, red."

"I am." Han looked as if he didn't believe me when he scoffed. "I would've gone to the ends of whatever it holds for us so I could go back to you, slightly unscathed, alive, to tell you how much I love you, Han. I hope you always remember that." His gaze softened ever so carefully, and found him walking over to hold me safely in his arms. I nuzzled by his neck, savoring the quiet solace of his warmth. "Though you shouldn't talk about safety when you got a much more dangerous job tomorrow."

Han chuckled, his chest vibrating underneath my palm. "I'll make sure I come home to you, Parrish."

--

The van worked this time around.

"I think the boogeyman scared it." Santos murmured, albeit out loud when he passed by and heard the rickety thing purr. I laughed, shoving my pack into the passenger seat, not wanting to jinx myself and our new plan.

"I heard that." Hobbs said as he passed by, though he was not in the zone just yet judging by my broken rib and scuffed arm and leg.

"You don't like being called the boogeyman while hitting people with cars, Mr. Big Man?" He stopped in his tracks, his hulking figure turning towards my direction but it didn't phase me like he expected, even though he tried looking me up and down. On my good days, I could take him down easy. But I choose my battles and if I'm gonna drive a truck, I need my full set of limbs. "You don't scare me, Hobbs. You're making yourself look ridiculous."

He huffed, what seemed like smoke coming out of his nose and steaming off his shiny head. "I'm only gonna say this once." Hobbs said, urging me to fix a stance where I'm sure the palm of my hands would take him down a few notches. "I apologize for hitting you with my truck." I had a lot to say to him, armed and ready for if he said something I won't ever like in a thousand years. But Luke Hobbs apologized to me as if he wasn't some kind of lunatic on a mission, and I was dumbfounded, to say the least.

"Sorry doesn't heal bones." I managed to croak out of being disoriented by an act so foreign to me. But he ignored what I said and walked away.

"Hey, red?" Tej called the minute Hobbs left with a stupid conniving smirk on his face. "Is everything okay?" Roman was right behind him, eyeing the man in his stride as if he's going to deal with several demons.

"Hobbs just apologized to me." I said, not even believing the words that came out of my own mouth.

"I think that's just your imagination." Roman quipped, equally in disbelief.