DRIVE

My day started like any other—except I was rolling in my own sweat with a loud fan blaring in front of me all night long. It kind of helped—but not to the point where it began making everything hotter the minute the clock strikes nine. I was going through a hangover, which was surprisingly still a thing of the present. So, I opted for a quick shower over the shared bath on the third floor just near my room, and made my way outside with everyone already up and about.

Today, Dom gave me a few days to go around the city while he was waiting for the route Santos was in the process of getting, and I didn't really have a plan in mind. I originally wanted to find the racing scene I first heard from some of the locals talking to me about it, but the problem was—I don't have a car to begin with. Dom had one, of course, but asking to borrow his car was like asking to borrow his deodorant. It's too personal. Which left me with no other choice than to—"Smoking's bad for you."

"And?" I say, lighting one up and blowing smoke right in his face which he only brushed up, amusement laced over his stupid face. I was well aware of his snack and mouth disease (or in better words, being a recovering smoker), and felt a little awful for doing that.

"It must be unfortunate for you, stuck here in the compound with nothing else to do." Oh, he was definitely taunting me. "I heard there's a really nice beach nearby, and a couple of good views not really visible at night. Too bad you can't go—"

"What exactly are you doing, Han?" I say, raising my brows at his growing intentions.

"Me? I'm not doing anything." He said that in such heavy sarcasm, all while circling the car keys around his fingers. "I'm just lettin' you know in case Dom didn't tell you about the underground scene. Oh—sorry. I wasn't supposed to say that out loud." Asshole. "Anyway, if anyone needs me, I'll just be cruising around the city, in my car, that I have, alone." The son of a bitch started walking out of the compound, rather slowly at that while taking his sweet time unlocking the same dull grey car that probably runs 60 at its best capacity. He was so proud of it, but a car is still a car. It can get me away from here, and with the utmost urge to explore a city I don't know, my nerves started firing up like Fourth of July.

Han started the car as soon as he went in and began his descent.

But it's him I'll be with. What fun would that be?

But it's the scene.

The beach.

The city.

Goddamnit, "Han, wait!"

The car stopped a few feet away, and before I could walk, the door to the passenger seat was opened—waiting for me. At the back of my head, I knew this was going to be another regret of the century. But at the other end, the city would make up for everything else. Maybe it won't be too much fun, but he's only going to be my driver. Right! He's just my driver for today—"Violet!" I groaned, stalking forward with another look, fully knowing even though I couldn't see that he was probably smirking his ass off. "So, where do you wanna go first?"

"Anywhere."

Han Lue probably took what I said by heart when he drove without telling me where we'll go. I guess at this point, while at the long stretch of road, he doesn't know where we're going but I was glad for the better view. I was glad for the way the sunlight felt and look just right, and how everything was green and clear. Miami was a dump compared to the green pastures and clear roads. No traffic, no locals shouting their throats at each other, and no city life. From the way the wind felt amazing, and the way the locals smile whenever we drove by. It was a nice change of scenery—a nice change of pace.