TURN

My day began by smelling burnt tires and coffee as I strolled over to the second level to watch the first test track with that same revolting Smurf's vehicle being driven by Brian. Tires screeched left and right from how fast he was driving, but as I looked over the screens, it didn't save us from the high-tech cameras and I was beginning to think this car either wasn't fast enough, or we're gonna have to magically make ourselves disappear just to go through that without a hitch. "Man, I was milking the hell out of that thing, too." Brian said as he came up the ledge, pissed off at the same time.

"We're gonna need a faster car." I didn't like the sound of that.

Dom had us take turns getting cars from the races, making us choose what we think could work best around the track and bringing it home to try. Leo and Santos brought their own sleek cars to get first dibs on the track, consecutively smashing what they got around the second try which we visibly flinched from. Rome and Han took their next turns but they were still visible on the camera. Tej and I went out to get ours and I was able to score a silver Nissan and waited to take my turn since I wanted Tej to have all his fun before I made a move. I wasn't in the greatest mood these past few days, what with our luck down the drain while we watch everyone's car, no matter how fast and even reckless, catch the watchful eyes of that stupid surveillance.

"Camera 2." Dom said.

"We gotta go back and get somethin' faster." Tej said as he went out of the car, shaking his head in disappointment while I went down and retrieved the keys from my back pocket.

"Somethin' faster will bolt your ass to space, babe." I told him, brushing his shoulders on the way as I opened the door and sat in the unfamiliar interior of a stranger's car that cried relentlessly as he handed me the keys. I almost didn't want to get it but we needed the car and I really loved how it looks.

"Alright, you're all set!" Mia shouted as soon as I heard the gentle purr of the car, carefully gripping the leather wheel I was glad for once, I'm driving something really nice.

"Got all my money on you." A voice reverberated from the left where Han, who just spoke to me since that night, smiled like he didn't just turn my stomach upside down. I ignored his quip and looked straight ahead, consciousness flying in the cloud.

I don't drive for anything else like I used to back then, but I found when you have a greater purpose—like getting the life you could only dream of, that boosts the need to make it seamless and perfect. I didn't train all my life, and I didn't dabble until it was late in my twenties when I dedicated every waking moment to cars and the fast life. Dom taught me most of what I know, Suki may not be the greatest tempered racer but she knew how to play the catfight, and Han, sure, he taught me a few things that I was able to utilize today as I shifted gears and drifted over like a breeze.

Stopping felt like a whiplash as soon as I pulled up to Point A and got out, the look on their faces scaring me for a bit. "Almost got it!" Roman exclaimed as soon as I stepped on the ladder. "Caught the half end of your tail on camera 2."

"Well, we'll try again after coffee number two." I said, coming up the back where I placed my pack of smokes, intending to light one up at the sudden thought of the man I was trying not to think about.

"Han, your turn." Dom said, his tone saying he must've already been on the brink of meltdown from the way we still didn't get the mark. The man stepped off, stopping beside my Nissan and glancing at me. I thought I was going crazy but I remembered the keys I was still holding, so I leaned in and threw them over.

"You owe me 20 bucks." He said, hopping in without any explanation to which I turned to Rome, fanning 20 dollars proudly. It explained why he was so happy I got caught at the camera.