CORONA

The drive was long—or maybe it felt too long than I would've wanted. The night had already befallen, and everything else looked serene and somewhat eerie. Being in a place I've never been before gave a confusing set of feelings. Excitement, crazy urge, and a side of anger. Luckily, the driver didn't initiate a conversation during his whole drive, but he did warn me to close up the window when we went through a dark street. "I thought nothing scares you." I quipped, regretting the minute I did when he talked back.

"I'm not."

"Sure, Han." I say, rolling up the windows when he points over it again. This time, he was intent on making me close the windows and for argument's sake, I did what I was told.

"I'm not scared. You, however, are prone to be dragged out of the car by some local creeps. So, if you wanna get going, be my guest."

I grunted, "Then drive faster."

"I'm already driving this piece of junk into hell, Vi. If I pushed it even more then we might as well be sitting ducks."

"You know, I think I know what you managed to change." I say, leaning on the door and trying my best not to look at him.

"I'm sure I'd love to hear that." He muttered sarcastically.

"Your charm. You kind of lost the whole dreamboat thing going on and quite frankly, it doesn't suit the whole Han Lue's slick back hair, hands on pocket, and opened button-down thing—"

"So, you think I'm a dreamboat?" Shit.

There was a place to open my mouth, and there's a place I should be keeping my mouth shut. I chose the former, and ultimately brought this to myself. "I said you lost it. Now drive fast! I still wanna live until 90."

"Sure, Violet." He said, repeating exactly how I said it a while ago.

And I ignored him right up to that point until we're able to reach the residence. He parked the car in front of an upwards compound with a gate on the outside, and a man holding his stance outside as if he ruled the very place. I was the first to leave the car, first to realize the good accommodation he meant was the people and not a hotel, and first to be able to ask Dom what got in his head for making me come in spite of knowing our misaligned history. "I need you, red. You both." He drew close and hugged me, reminding myself that it's just a short job. It'll all be over soon.

I hope.

"Come in. Dinner's ready." Dom led the way while I try to ignore the figure that followed behind. He led us through a short alley, and on the other side was a house, three stories up with a kitchen on the first floor. The lights are well lit, and food was being served up on the long table, in Dom's signature LA style, while everyone scampered to get ready. The locals saw me then and from the huge language barrier, I regret not learning a few words to thank them for welcoming me warmly into their homes. Though they tried talking to me in English, which I appreciated a lot. "Everyone, this is Violet, my friend." Dom muttered, and the first who took the lead on talking to me was a man wearing braids and a really large shirt.

"Welcome, welcome, Violet! I'm Santos, and you can always call me when you need me." He grinned, and I rolled my eyes and chuckled when he caught my hands and shook them. "I'm the local's favorite, everywhere you go, just say my name and they will give you anything for free!"

"A load of bull, Santos." Han muttered with a beer in his hand, and a girl behind him sticking around with literal heart eyes. I shook my head, knowing some things may never really change at all.