FAMILIA

"Just kill me."

There's a thick line between insanity and persistence, and tires screeching every goddamn day was already making my ears bleed awfully. Every hour as soon as the sun begins to set, we're off again, and failing quite miserably it's uninspiring at this point. I was leaning over the edge of the railing, cigarette in one hand while I try to calm myself enough not to poke my ears with a stick or something. I watched as Han borrowed my Nissan again and took his turn. He was the most relentless after days of trying again and again, it's his third round at this point all while he took frequent stops to watch the recording of how and which camera he's been seen.

"Dom's not giving out trophies for the most courageous, you know." I told him as he peaked over again at the station I was currently handling because Mia was feeling under the weather, though who wouldn't? We're basically snorting car fumes every damn day. The rest of the boys are beaten down, hoping Han gets it little by little since he's the most experienced drifter out of all of us combined.

"I'm sure he'll buy me solid gold as soon as I get this." Han quipped, coming down the ledge to go back to the car and take another round. I groaned, closing my eyes and finishing the rest of the cigarette the same time he stopped and saw his presence still fully visible to the cameras when I did the honors of twisting the monitor in his direction.

"Nope." I said as he leaned on the door and sighed, fixing his eyes on Dom who's currently tinkering over his favorite toy.

"Dom, the window is too small, man. Only way we're going to beat the cameras is with invisible cars." Han said defeatedly.

Dom must've just had a force of epiphany when he smiled, bad idea written all over his face. "And I know just where to get them. Let's take a ride, boys."

Had I known I was going to drive four grown men to a police station in the middle of the night, I would've taken an early slumber and kept myself out of trouble. But I was the only one left still wide awake so they assigned me as the designated driver of a boring beat-up van while they made a cool dangerous thing like, oh I don't know, steal police cars in the middle of the night. "Drive slowly by the railing so we can climb up." I nodded, following the way back to the lot of the same place we're trying to infiltrate because Dom had the greatest and most spontaneous ideas sometimes.

I carefully drove up to the side with no spiky railings as Rome pushed the door open and began to descend up the roof of the van, "Don't do anything I wouldn't do."

"Don't worry, red." Han said as he peek out of the window and held himself up, "I'll be back before you can even say 'I miss ya'."

"Jackass."

I wasn't at all surprised to wake up the next day and find my mechanics on the work to fully customized their new ride which made me both laugh and a bit nervous at the same time. I strolled up near Han while he was busy by the hood, creeping up on the driver's seat and holding the wheel, trying to see if it makes me feel badass or something. "First time on the front seat, huh?" Han said, peeking at the side of the hood.

I nodded while chuckling. "First time in the front seat all while doing something that would most likely rattle this entire country." It felt like it's an entirely different world in the front seat of a car I've all the time been in the back seat, wrist in tight cuffs, and a cigarette on my lips in exchange for a hundred bucks of bribe. "You flourishing it up to Han Lue's standards?" I quipped, stepping out of the car to watch him in his work mode, which consist of pink button-downs and grimy hands.

"If I'm driving this thing, I'd rather it works how it's supposed to and not stop in the middle of the damn road."

"Where's the trust?" He chuckled, finding this act of speaking to each other without making me burst entirely normal, like second nature, never minding the giant elephant in the room staring, poking us in the head, and waiting to be acknowledged.