Chapter 9

After Johnny was done telling his story he took us home. We started walking to Miguel's apartment when his mom came over.

 "Hey, guys." She smiled. "How was training?" 

"Your sons doing great." Johnny patted Miguel on his back and Miguel smiled up at him.

"What about me?" I cross my arms.

"You're doing okay. Could use some improvement." He shrugged.

I scoffed. "I don't know if you remember, but I definitely kicked those kids' asses in the cafeteria a few weeks ago. I didn't need any improvement then." 

"That was one time." He held up his finger.

"And I could do it again." I argued.

"You couldn't have picked a better time to argue?" Miguel asked.

His mother chuckled. "Miggy, go get cleaned up. Yaya's making seco de carne." 

"Miggy? Oh, I'm definitely teasing you with this nickname now." I nod smiling at Miguel.

He rolled his eyes. " Okay, see you sensei, Olivia." He walked to his apartment.

" All right, see you." Miguel gave Johnny a fist bump.

"Bye, Miggy!"  I teased.

"I Hate you!" He called from his apartment.

"I love you, too!" He closed the door.

We all started walking to our apartments. "Do you guys have dinner plans?" Carmen suddenly asks.

"Me? uh Yeah, I got a couple Hot Pockets. Im good." Johnny replied.

"Same." I nodded, pressing my lips together.

"That sounds like the opposite of good. Want to join us?" Carmen offered.

"Hot Pockets are actually Top Teir, but yeah I guess I could join you guys." I walked towards Carmen and she looked at Johnny.

"Uh, thanks, but I wouldn't want to bother you guys."  He gestured to the apartment.

"It's not bother. We have plenty of food." Carmen insisted.

"Well, I would, but-" He started.

"No buts. My dojo, my rules." She joked.

"Nice one." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We sat at the dinner table in Carmen's apartment. We all held hands as Miguel's yaya prayed. 

"Amen." She ended.

"Amen." We all said and started eating.

"So, um, Miguel told me about the tournament." Carmen mentioned. "I hope he doesn't get hurt." 

"Mom, I told you there's referees. You can't get hurt." Miguel reassured.

"At least not permanently." Johnny added. Carmen gave him a serious look."He'll be fine." He looked over at Miguel.