Chapter 2

I lay sprawled out on my bed, Scrolling through Instagram. I'm watching a video of dogs making funny faces when I get a call. I look confused at Eli's name popping up on my screen. He normally never calls. I quickly sit up and answer the call, putting it on speaker. 

"Hey Stranger." I say, trying not to sound too confused. I hear sniffling on the other side of the phone. "Hey, Liv. Can you come over?" He says, his voice groggy from crying. " Yeah, Of course." I  quickly get up from my bed. "Thank you." He responds and before I can say anything else he hangs up.

I slip on my shoes and grab my skateboard. I rush out of my apartment and head in the direction of the familiar house, having spent countless nights having movie nights with Eli and Demetri.  

Once I get there I walk up to the house and Knock on the door. After a few knock the door opens. "Hey, Mrs. Moskowitz. Is Eli Here?" I smile at the familiar face. " Hey, Olivia. Yes, he's just in his room." She steps to the side and gestures To the stairs that lead to his room. 

I quickly walk towards the stairs " Okay, thank you." I give a small smile and head up the stairs. I walk up to his bedroom door and knock. I hear a muffled "Come in." And slowly walk in, closing the door behind me. I frown at the sight of Eli laying on his stomach with his face buried in his blanket. 

" Hey, what's wrong? Was it those people online again? Y'know I could go to school tomorrow and kick all of their asses for you." I gently sit on the edge of his bed. He turns his head to look at me."No, it's okay. What they're saying is true. I am a freak." He gives me a sad look. 

"Absolutely not. You are definitely not a freak. Kyler's the freak. You are so much better than the people who say that stuff about you, and I'm sorry no one realizes how perfect you are." I say turning to face him more.

He slowly sits up. " You really mean that?" he mumbles, looking down at his hands. I put my hands on the sides of his face and turn his head to look at me. " I mean it with every inch of my heart." He slowly smiles and I pull him in for a hug, and I spend the rest of the night making sure he isn't alone. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sit at our lunch table the next day, listening to a speech counselor Blatt is giving. "Cyberbullying is no laughing matter. Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face. I'm not gonna name names, but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying After some kids online made fun of his facial deformity."

Basically every kid in the cafeteria started whispering and pointing at Eli. He reached up to hide his scar and I pulled his hand away and intertwined our fingers.  He looked at me and I smiled at him. I could've sworn I saw his face turn pink. 

"But today, our goal here is to make a safe space for all students." She continued.

"If you're sick of getting bullied, my karate dojo's looking for recruits." Miguel suggested. I smiled at him and looked at Eli. " It doesn't sound like a bad idea." 

" Yeah, right. You hear that, Eli? A little karate training, and you're gonna kick some major ass." Demetri made poor karate chopping gestures. "Im serious, Demetri." Miguel shuffles in his seat to look at him. 

"My sensei's the real deal. I'm sure I could get all three of you discounts." I nod my head at his words, really considering his offer. "As enticing as that sounds, I think we'd rather spend our afternoons Playing Crucible Control Than getting hit in the face." Demetri Turns down his offer. "speak for yourself." I say, already making up my mind. Demetri looks at me disapprovingly while Eli and Miguel smile at me.