Chapter 12: Tears of Pain

Tanjiro Kamado

How long has it been?

In reality, it only had been half a year.  But to Tanjiro, it only felt like yesterday.  He could recall the words that had been told to him.

The male pressed his hand to the window in front of him.  He squeezed his eyes shut, already feeling tears pour down on his face.

"Why... why couldn't I have come with him instead?  Why couldn't it have been me?"

The events half a year ago were still on his mind.  Even now.  And ever since the events a few nights ago, it wasn't any better.  Despite being a demon, he still fell in love with Kanjoro for his big heart.  And Kanjoro was still kind to him.  Knowing that his sister was a demon as well, he sympathized with him.  And since then, the two stuck together.  Nezuko was very supportive of the two.

Kanjoro, Shinozuka, and Taeko were gone.  Especially Kanjoro.  How could he possibly accept this?  It was already bad enough that Kanjoro was already captured by Muzan for the second time.  He didn't even realize that Taeko and Shinozuka had both ran after him either.  How could he not have realized?  Why couldn't he have ran after Kanjoro the moment he heard that he was taken?

Why did he listen to Taeko and Shinozuka?  They both told him that he was tough and that he would make it out.  Well, Taeko was a little worried, and Tanjiro understood that.  But still... it was his fault.  He should've saved Kanjoro.  He should've helped.  He should've been the one to go after Kanjoro himself.  He should've stopped the other two from going.

If Kanjoro were here, he would've told him to keep moving forward.  Ever since he had heard the news about what had happened, Tanjiro felt like the world had stopped around him for a moment.  He couldn't believe it.  He wouldn't believe it.  He felt tears stream down his face, remembering everything.  Ever since that day, he shut himself out from everyone.  Including his sister, Nezuko.  He had secluded himself in a room, grieving for weeks.

He buried his face into his knees, trying to forget.  However, how could he?  It was fresh in his mind, especially when it crossed his mind.  Even if it had only been half a year, it still raced around his head.  He kept blaming himself, thinking that this was his fault.  He loved Kanjoro.  He was his boyfriend after all.  And he was willing to protect Kanjoro.  Kanjoro had promised the same to him.

Everyone could see the pain on his face every time they passed by him.  Kanao had seen it.  Nezuko had seen it.  Even Taeko's siblings had seen it too.  However, he kept telling them that everything was fine.  At one point, Kanao came by to check up on him, but he still was hurt.  He had appreciated the closure from his sister and his friends.  But still, it ached his heart.

Tanjiro knew that Kanjoro was a demon.  And that was why he was willing to protect him.  He wasn't willing to see him harmed.  He had remembered the time where he had asked Kanjoro to be his.  He remembered the look of happiness Kanjoro had when he stated that he felt the same way.  He remembered the hugs that he had given Kanjoro at random moments.  Tanjiro was a bit shy about it, but he wanted to see Kanjoro happy and with a smile on his face.

He remembered where he would watch the sunset and the stars with him.    He remembered all the memories he had with him.  He remembered all of it.  When he had told Kanjoro's uncle, Tengen Uzui, or the Sound Hashira about it, he was blaming himself, saying that this was his fault.  However, Tengen stated that this wasn't his fault at all.  Tengen knew how strong Kanjoro was.  And Tanjiro did too.

On top of that, Kanjoro was willing to protect Tanjiro too.  But he was gone now.  He was even told that Kanjoro had even escaped with the other two.  But at what cost?  Muzan killing them off.  Hearing this, his anger grew.  His anger grew, knowing that he would go after Muzan for another cause.

Not only for his sister, but for his boyfriend as well.  Secluded in his room, Tanjiro had glanced out at the window.  The sun was setting.  It was about to be nighttime.  He had heard of the wave of demons coming towards the headquarters when it turned nighttime.  However, the demon slayers were only lucky that the Hashira were there to protect them.  Who knows when it could happen again?

Staring at the sun setting at its horizon now, he narrowed his eyes for a few moments.  His expression then suddenly darkened.  He knew what he had to do now.  He slowly stood up, grabbing his scabbard with his sword within it.  He then took his green and black checkered haori, putting it on.  Fortunately, his sister was sleeping in the box he would usually carry.  So, she didn't see any of this.

He didn't want to drag her into any of this either.  He then quietly opened the door, checking to see if anyone was there.  After doing so, he had started to run.  Only to hear a soft voice behind him.

"Tanjiro?"

The burgundy haired male slowly turned around, seeing a female with raven hair standing there.  Kanao.  The male had stayed silent, looking away from her.  It seemed like he didn't want to speak to anyone.

"Sorry... Kanao."  He had muttered under his breath.  Kanao had tilted his head to the side.  Why was he apologizing?

"I know what I have to do." Suddenly, he suddenly makes a beeline for the front door, then running out of the Butterfly Mansion.  He didn't hear anything behind him as he was running.  It was either Kanao didn't stop him, or she couldn't find the right words to stop him.  But either way, that didn't matter to him.  He continues running and running.  He didn't know how long he was going to run for.

As long as he would look for Muzan Kibutsuji, then he would finish him.  As Tanjiro was running, the tears poured down his face once more.  However, he wiped them away quickly.  He couldn't cry now.  Kanjoro wouldn't want him to cry then give up, would he?  Only one thought had crossed his mind as he was running.

"Muzan Kibutsuji... you took away my family away from me.  And now, you want to take away the one I love?"

He knew what he needed to do now.

"Nezuko... I'm sorry.  Kanjoro, I will avenge you.  I promise..."