Life Tip #23- Returning Involves Strings

"So you're from this area right?"

Magnus looked across the aisle to his new reporting partner, Blake. Blake was the actual reporter and Magnus was his photo-journalist.

"Yeah, about an hour away from Indy."

"Are you going back there-- to see family?"

"I don't really have any family left there," Magnus said, sitting back in his seat. JoAnn had died of liver failure his sophomore year; he hadn't cried when the police lieutenant told him the news over the phone.

It was hard to be charming when he was talking about himself.

Blake was the new office hottie.

"But still, you've got to go back. You must have friends there."

Magnus sighed, biting his lip as he smiled.

"Maybe-- I really don't know yet."

"Well, if you want to a solo day, Magnus, just tell me." Blake smiled.

"Good evening, passengers. We're about fifteen minutes from descent--"

........

They had been in the city for three days, and nearing the end of their trip.

Their story on city's growing art and culture scene was just about down and Magnus was thankful.

It had been a boring story. The real fun was back in New York City.

They were sitting in a cab, headed back for the hotel when Blake spoke up.

"It's our last night; let's go someplace."

"Some place like where?" Magnus asked.

"A club or something."

Magnus thought for a moment.

"The Vogue please," Magnus said. The cabbie took a sharp swerve, but it was nothing the New Yorkers weren't used to.

Magnus looked over at Blake and smiled.

To be honest, Magnus wasn't big into the club scene. He didn't know why The Vogue had popped into his head; he'd been there once and had an unmemorable experience with Cat.

But they were going there anyways.

Magnus guided Blake inside, taking the lead.

"Drinks?" Magnus offered.

"Only if you're paying," Blake laughed. Damn that laugh.

It slightly annoyed Magnus that Blake was so charming, making him fall in love in the same city as--

"Martini," Magnus said. The bartender looked at Magnus, wanting more instruction. "The stronger the alcohol, the better."

If he was going to make a fool of himself, he should at least have an excuse.

Blake ordered some froofy drink.

Bless him.

"I like you, Magnus. I hope you're on my next project."

Oh, he was talking.

"Well, you're better than Fitz," Magnus laughed. Fitz was the other main reporter in their department. The main reporters shared a photojournalist, assigned to the department.

"He's. . . interesting," Blake said.

"If interesting means creepy," Magnus said.

Suddenly, a large portion of the crowd surged into another room, filing through a little opening.