Life Tip #3- Always Get the Number

Sunday. Nothing.

Monday morning. Nothing.

Monday afternoon. . .

1:35 pm- Cat: OMG

1:37 pm- Magnus: What?

1:37 pm- Cat: I know who it is!

1:37 pm- Magnus: Who???????

1:39 pm- Magnus: Cat.

1:41 pm- Magnus: Cat.

1:45 pm- Magnus: Cat, I don't care if you're in Alg I will come in there and kill you.

1:49 pm- Magnus: Cat.

1:53 pm- Cat: Alexander FREAKING LIGHTWOOD

1:53 pm- Magnus: Oh.

1:53 pm- Magnus: Yeah. No.

1:55 pm- Cat: You have to. I'll just tell him you like him anyways.

1:59 pm- Magnus: You will not.

2:01 pm- Cat: You have 24 hours to profess your love. XD Good luck, Bane.

Magnus glanced across the courtyard where he was spending the last seconds of his off hour. Across the lawn, he could see Alec Lightwood entering the building with his best friend, Jace Lightwood.

Everyone had their secrets, yes, but Magnus couldn't bring himself to believe that Alexander Lightwood could say "fuck."

There was no way he was the singer.

But, even if he was, he looked perfectly happy as he walked away from Magnus.

There was no way he could be happy with Magnus beside him.

.........

For the most part, Alexander kept to himself. He had his circle of friends and they had more friends that made their group even larger.

He would be remembered as shy when his name was brought up in the only grocery store in town thirty years from now.

That was it.

One word.

Shy.

Maybe, if they were feeling extra talkative, they'd bring up his father's business.

But it was better than the word notorious (Jace, his best friend). Quirky (Clary, his girlfriend). Vicious (Isabelle, his sister).

He was content with living his double life.

Rocker in Indy on the weekends. Shy jock (from the rich family) at the back of the class, Monday through Friday 7:30-3:05.

Anti-Prom had been the best. His head was still pounding from the sheer noise and his heart was still racing from the adrenaline of performing.

Then there was the guy in the front row.

The same guy who was standing beside him as soon as he shut his locker on Tuesday morning.

Alec jumped back.

Magnus and Jace shared their word.

Notorious.

Everyone suspected Magnus was gay. Only Catarina Loss knew for sure and she'd never tell a soul. So it was left to the school's grape vine to fester and rot until it produced the poisonous fruit of rumors.

"Hi," Magnus said. Did he sound shy? Alec was certain there was a hint of hesitation.

"Hi," Alec said.

"I liked your show," Magnus said. Alec's eyes went wide.

He wasn't a liar. And he couldn't control his facial expressions to save his life.

"I knew it," Magnus said.

"You can't tell anyone," Alec said, faster than he should have.

"Why? Because you're out there, spewing out the word 'fu--'"

Alec covered Magnus' mouth with his hands.

"Shh," Alec said. "Whatever you want me to do, I'll--"

"I'm not trying to blackmail you," Magnus said. "I won't tell anyone."

Alec relaxed.

"You're a really amazing singer though," Magnus said. Alec smiled. The compliments still got to him. "But now I have to be terribly, terribly blunt because Catarina Loss is forcing me to ask you this-- not that I wouldn't ask you anyways, but I'd be a bit classier about it--"

"Um, I have to be to class in two minutes," Alec said.

"Can I have your number?" Magnus asked. "I want to know when your shows--"

"Yeah," Alec said, cutting him off there. "Give me your phone quick."

They exchanged phones and in a second they had each other's numbers.

Magnus smiled up at Alec.

Alec smiled back.

.........

4:55 pm- Alec: Hi

4:56 pm- Magnus: Hey

4:58 pm- Alec: You wanted to know when we have concerts coming up?

4:59 pm- Magnus: Yeah!

5:00 pm- Alec: We've got a show in Indy this weekend. The rest of the band is from there so it works better for them...

5:01 pm- Alec: I could give you a ride...

5:02 pm- Magnus: That'd be awesome. Thanks!

5:03 pm- Alec: You'd have to stand awhile. We usual get there pretty early.

5:03 pm- Magnus: That's okay!

5:04 pm- Alec: Alright! We have to leave right after school so I'll just see you there? Friday?

5:05 pm- Magnus: Perfect.

The rest of the details were irrelevant. Magnus would have at least an hour ride there with Alec.

And he had completed his end of the deal with Cat.