Prologue

The church was empty and smelled of lilac.

The florist had donated the half-rotten flowers, thinking no one would notice.

Pastor Thomas stood before his ghostly congregation, Bible and sermon notes resting on the podium.

Tomorrow, the ghosts would be replaced with bodies.

The ghosts were a better audience though.

The church was silent.

He liked it better this way. There were no expectations in this moment, in this place.

He could say what he liked, without fear or hesitation. No one would hear him.

Except for the ceramic cross resting high above him.

He was always watching, always judging, always listening.

Would He approve?

The pastor sure hoped so.

"Homosexuality is a sin."

He liked the way the conviction rolled off his Southern tongue and how the passion burned in his stomach.

"You may think you can turn a blind eye; ignore it and it won't happen. You're lying to yourself. You turn a blind eye to bullies; it still happens. You turn a blind eye to the lady cutting in line at the Super Mart; it's still happening. You turn a blind eye to sin but it is still going to happen. By not acknowledging it, you're participating in it-- you are supporting it."

He put a finger up to the ceiling.

"You are sinnin'. When you see them on the streets kissing, and you don't say something-- you are sinnin'. When you vote for those psychotic liberals who are A-OK with legalizin' gay marriage, you are supporting them, and you are sinnin'."

"Now God sees all of this. He knows what you do. You can't hide from the Almighty-- oh, no. You have been called to step up and take a stand. To make your voice heard. God's voice."

"And God's voice has been very clear on his position. Homosexuality is sin."

Was it a stereotypical sermon? Well, perhaps.

But it always managed to capture the attention of the real audience; the ghosts were always so indifferent.

It stirred up discussion.

And the town needed a little stirring up.

The church was silent again.