42. A week of separation

Y/N
Now that you had achieved the title of Special Agent Y/L/N, when you became a profiler, your next task was upon you.

You were now going to face the Behavioural Analysis Exam for Spencer's class. The moment you got off the jet from the team's most recent case, you went straight to Alyssa's apartment. You hated not being with Spencer, but you understood why.

So, on Monday morning at 10 AM, you were sitting at Alyssa's kitchen table, the entire table covered in books, notes and food.

"Y/N. Are you okay?" Alyssa asked as she sat opposite you, a coffee in her hand.

"I'm fine, I think. I mean, I'm a freaking Special Agent for the FBI! I find and apprehend unsubs who kidnap, torture and murder innocent people, yet this exam is freaking me out!" You threw your head into your hands, dropping the pen that was in your hand.

"Calm down, Y/N. You're going to do just fine on the exam. I believe in you. Spencer believes in you. I'm sure that your team believes in you!" Alyssa stood up and walked around the table, wrapping her arms around you.

"Thanks." You smiled, letting Alyssa kiss your cheek before walking away.

Your exam was on Friday, so you had four days of studying. Yes, you had done the Profiler Exam for the FBI, and you passed it with flying colors, but Spencer warned you that he was going to make his exam as different from the Profiler Exam as possible.

You had arranged your studying in a tight schedule:

-7 AM = Breakfast and relaxing.

-8:30 AM to 11:30 AM = Study time.

-11:30 AM to 12 PM = Lunch and relax.

-12 PM to 3 PM = Study time.

-3 PM to 3:30 PM = Snack and relax.

-3:30 PM to 6:30 PM = Final study period.

-6:30 PM to 10:30 PM = Dinner and relax.

-10:30 PM to 7 AM = Sleep.

Every day, you stuck by this schedule, making sure to get as much studying done during the selected times in the day.

Everything was going well. You studied as much as you possibly could, hoping that everything you were studying would stay in your brain. One thing that had changed since you stopped staying with Spencer for the week was your communication with him. From the moment you started studying, you had forgotten to message him, or call him. Even during your selected breaks, you didn't think to pick up your phone and contact him, considering you had a fiction novel right by your side that you intended to read.

It wasn't until Thursday night at 9:45 PM, that you actually put your book down because Spencer was calling you. You informed him on how your week had been going and he had informed you on how his week had been going. Eventually, you said your 'goodnights' and 'I love yous', before you put your phone on charge and went to bed.

———
(Friday Morning, 9:55 AM)

At 9:55 AM, you and 74 other students were sitting in the gymnasium located on your college campus. Each desk was at least 3ft apart, meaning there was no way for someone to cheat.

From the moment you stepped into the gym, you glanced at Spencer once. He sat at a slightly larger desk near the entrance. On the wall behind him, rested a digital clock. The moment you sat down, you didn't look at him once. You would look up and around at the gym, but you purposefully avoided Spencer's gaze. It was clear that he would glance at you every couple of minutes. You could feel his eyes on you, but you didn't dare meet his gaze.

At 10 AM, the timer on the wall started, allowing you and 74 other students to start the exam. The exam itself was a 4 hour exam, which was an hour longer than your Profiler Exam.

The first hour focused on the difference between psychopaths, sociopaths, organised offenders and disorganized offenders. Once you outlined the differences, you were asked to provide a example of each.

The second hour focused on the three types of victims. You had to choose out of a psychopath and a sociopath and give a detailed explanation as to which type of offender would target a type of victim. For example, explaining why a sociopath would target a low-risk victim, or why a psychopath would choose a high-risk victim.

The third hour focused on a few things. You had to discuss and explain the difference or similarity between sexual sadism, piquerism and anger excitation behaviour.

The fourth - and final - hour focused on the topic of home invasions. You had to explain how a home invasion could be executed by both an organised offender and a disorganised offender.

By the time 2 PM rolled around, the timer sounded. Everyone put their pencils away and stood up, walking over to Spencer's desk to give their exams to him. You were one of first people to hand your exam in. You walked up to Spencer's desk, around 2-3 people having left already, while the other 72 or so students walked behind you. You placed your exam on his desk and didn't look at him. You wanted to wait.

One half of you wanted to go home. You wanted to sleep in the bed that you and Spencer shared. You missed it so much. But, the other half of you knew that it would be wiser to stay with Alyssa for an extra couple of days.

You: I'm gonna stay with Alyssa for an extra couple of days (until you're finished grading the exams). Let me know when you're done and I'll come home.

Spencer: Sounds like a good idea. I love you.

You: Love you too.

You smiled, putting your phone in your bag as you made your way back to Alyssa's apartment.

SPENCER
I entered the apartment, putting every single exam onto my desk. I turned to look at the bedroom. My eyes gazed at the bed, wishing that Y/N was there, laying down. I missed her and the week without her had been hard. But, I knew that as soon as the grading was done, she'd be home.

I got through 3 exams before I reached Y/N's. Would it be biased for me to grade her exam and give her 100? Yes. Which is why, I called Emily over to the apartment. She went over every exam with me and helped me give an accurate grade for each and every exam. When she got to Y/N's exam, I left the room and let Emily grade it herself. I had told her - with my most unbiased opinion - what I think Y/N deserved as a grade, considering how hard she must have studied.

An hour later, Emily called me back to the desk and handed me Y/N's exam. On the front, near Y/N's name, was the grade that Emily had given Y/N. As I expected Y/N did deserve the 100 that I had originally given to her.

"You made the right choice calling me. I know that your relationship with Y/N is only known by me and the team, but you still would've felt biased. At least now you can sleep better knowing that Y/N's 100 was truly deserved." Emily smiled.

By 4:45 PM, each and every exam had been graded, and the results were online and would be emailed to the students. Y/N wasn't the only student who got 100. Many other students were amazing and achieved 100, which made me happy. I was happy with the fact that my teaching had paid off and that most of the students had been so interested in the class to actually want to pass the exam.