2. A change in attitude

After their encounter, both Y/N and Spencer couldn't stop smiling. Even while Y/N was focusing on her other classwork for her final year of college, she couldn't help but smile. Something about him just lit up her day, and after seeing him smile, the idea of having to wait an entire week until she could see him again, it saddened her.

As for Spencer, he left the college campus and headed toward the FBI Academy, ready for whatever work he and the BAU would be involved in. The entire drive to work was spent thinking about Y/N. He couldn't help it. The image of Y/N's face was trapped in his mind. The way she carefully wrote down notes in her notebook was strikingly calming to him. The way she glanced between him and the board behind him, trying and succeeding to keep up with his rambling. His thoughts about her were enhanced when he remembered how interested and intrigued she was with the information that he was talking about. He knew that there was something special about her, and he hoped that maybe one day, they'd become friends. She seemed really smart and the kind of person he'd really want to hang out with.

Spencer stepped quietly onto the floor of the BAU bullpen, his hands gripping the strap of his satchel as he tried - and failed - to rid his thoughts of Y/N's face.

"Spence! How was the lecture?" JJ asked as she, Prentiss and Penelope walked up to him.

"It was fine. Most of the students in the lecture hall were only auditing the class, but the few who weren't, they seemed very interested." Spencer smiled, Y/N unintentionally entering his mind again.

"It's not hard to understand why the students were auditing." Penelope smiled.

"Hold up. No one says that their lecture was fine, only to have a smile like that." Prentiss pointed out the very bright smile on Spencer's face. He quickly dropped the smile, sitting at his desk.

"I think Spencer met someone." Prentiss spoke, JJ and Penelope's eyes widening. Spencer quickly turned to face his computer, putting a pile of case files in front of him.

"Spencer definitely met someone." JJ chuckled.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He shook his head, lying.

"Are you really trying to hide the fact that you met someone from a group of profilers and a technical analyst?" Penelope gasped.

"Are you really suggesting that I met someone at my lecture?" Spencer turned to the three ladies.

"Answering a question with a question. Wow, Spencer, real defensive." JJ shook her head.

"What's all the commotion around here?" Derek asked as he exited Hotch's office, seeing the three ladies standing around Spencer's desk.

"Spencer met someone at his lecture this morning, and he's refusing to tell us who she is." Prentiss revealed.

"My man! Are we finally going to see pretty boy get some romance in his life?" Derek smirked.

"For your information, my lecture was fine and I DIDN'T meet anyone." Spencer scoffed, beginning to ignore the dozens of questions that his friends were asking.

Spencer lied on purpose. He and Y/N weren't even friends, let alone anything more. Had Spencer thought about the possibility of a romance between him and Y/N, yes, but only for a minute. All he wanted was to begin a friendship with her. That's as far as he would allow himself to go, for now. And, even if he and Y/N became friends, the last thing he wanted was for his friends to find out and use Penelope's skills as a technical analyst to find out who she was and everything else about her.

———

Y/N sat within the courtyard at her college, correcting anything within her notes from her classes. She would glance up at her surroundings. There were groups of people studying for their classes nearby, older males throwing a football around the yard, and small groups of girls talking about whatever drama had accumulated since the start of the semester.

Focusing too much on her studies, Y/N didn't notice her best friend, Alyssa Barton, sitting down across from her.

"Hello, Earth to Y/N." She waved her hands in front of Y/N's face, watching as she blinked a few times before looking up, a smile on her face.

"Hey, Alyssa." Y/N smiled.

"How was your lecture this morning?" She asked.

"It was really good and interesting." Y/N nodded, showing her best friend the 5 pages worth of notes she had written.

"I heard from Samantha Dougherty that the professor is hot. Was she right?" Alyssa asked.

"I'm not going to lie, he's good looking. Cute, even. But I wouldn't go as far to say that he is hot." Y/N shook her head, rolling her eyes.

"I heard her talk about his name. Dr. Sawyer Red? Something along those lines." She giggled. Y/N exhaled, not bothering correcting her.

"Ooh, what's this?" She reached into Y/N's pocket, having spotted the card poking out.

Before Y/N could take it away from her, Alyssa read what the card said.

"Dr. Spencer Reid! That's his name. Wait, why do you have his business card?" Alyssa asked.

"He gave it to me, offering help with the class topics if I needed it." Y/N explained.

"Oh, so an FBI Agent is going to help you with the class topics?" Alyssa smirked.

"Him being an FBI Agent has nothing to do with why he gave me his card." Y/N chuckled, gently taking the card from Alyssa's hand, placing it into her purse for safe keeping.