12. Performance review

After 3 weeks of being with the team, everyone had noticed that Y/N wasn't around. Spencer was sad, knowing exactly why she was gone. She had warned him 3 days ago that her time with the BAU was going to end, seeing as she needed to return to the program.

"Where is our young Probationary Agent friend? I haven't seen her at all today!" Penelope exhaled as she walked into the bullpen.

"She's gone back to the training building. Her Probationary Agent period is up." Spencer explained, feeling exactly the same as Penelope. They were both sad to see Y/N go, although, their reasons were different. While Penelope missed her new friend, Spencer was saddened because he wasn't going to see the woman he was falling in love with as often. It only saddened him more to think about the possibility that she'd be assigned to a different division once she graduated from the Training Program.

"BAU team, conference room." Hotch called out as Spencer and the rest of the team nodded, making their way up. They knew that seeing Strauss either meant that they had done something very well, or something very wrong.

Everyone sat down, watching as Strauss clasped her hands together, exhaling. JJ, Prentiss, Derek, Penelope and Spencer eyed Strauss.

"For the past 3 weeks, you have been joined by Cadet Y/L/N on your cases. She joined you on your cases, because I had felt that she could be a good asset to your team, and I wanted to see how she did on your cases on a trial basis. Now, I have already received a performance review from Hotch about Cadet Y/L/N, but I think it would be beneficial for both me and the Brass to get your opinions as well. As much as I believe that my opinion counts, it's not me that she'd be working with if she were to join the BAU after she graduates. She'd be working with you all." Strauss explained.

"What do you want from us?" Rossi asked.

"I want your honest opinions. I would like each of you to create a list of everything she did well, and everything she needs improvement on. I will take those lists and sent them to the Brass. I will also be conducting recorded interviews with you all to get your honest opinions." Strauss replied to Rossi's question.

"Any questions?" Hotch asked. Not hearing any responses, Hotch and Strauss prepared to leave.

"I will be talking to JJ, Derek and Rossi today. Spencer, Penelope and Prentiss will be interviewed tomorrow." Strauss insisted before leaving the conference room.

Rossi, Penelope, Derek, JJ and Prentiss all stood up. Spencer? He didn't. He remained seated.

"Spence, you coming?" JJ asked, confused. Spencer smiled and shook his head, letting her know with only glances and gestures that he needed some time alone. Soon enough, the entire conference room was empty, except for one chair that was occupied by Spencer.

Spencer had found himself in a difficult situation. The 23-year-old woman that he had met when she attended his first lecture was currently training to become an FBI Agent. She had made it clear that the BAU was her intended unit to join. Ever since he met her, he couldn't keep her out of his thoughts. Just the image of her in his head made him smile.

He was falling in love with her. He couldn't deny that. He met her just over 2 months ago and in that time, he had become friends with her and he had started developing feelings for her. He wasn't certain if she felt the same way, but he wasn't too keen on finding out right away. He'd at least wait until after she had graduated to find out if she felt the same way toward him.

He was worried. Worried that he might slip up and say something that would tell Strauss that he was falling in love with Y/N. The last thing that Spencer wanted was for his feelings to possibly ruin Y/N's chances of joining the BAU after she graduated. He cared about her too much to let her future be ruined because of his clouded judgment.