29. Anger

Y/N
The tears that had been forming in your eyes were now spilling down your cheeks, with no signs of stopping. You tried not to sob, but it was clear to everyone that you were angry, sad, worried. There was no real word for how you were feeling.

Alyssa was your best friend. In many ways, she was your sister. You loved her like a sister would and to see her so beaten and hurt, you felt absolutely miserable, knowing that you had no idea where she was, so you couldn't help her.

Seeing Agent Jackson's dead body and now a video of your best friend being beaten, it was too much. You walked out of Penelope's lair, needing a moment to breathe. This case was getting harder. It was hard enough to know that someone was dead because of you, but to know that your best friend had been kidnapped, it was horrible.

You watched with tears in your eyes as the team walked to the conference room. You ignored their looks. You sat at your desk and dropped your head into your hands. Every moment that went by, you couldn't stop crying. You grabbed tissues out from the middle drawer in your desk and wiped your eyes, but it was no use. The moment you pulled the tissues away, more tears spilled.

You felt a pair of arms lift you from your chair. It was Spencer. He lifted you up and wrapped his arms around your torso, allowing your head to rest against his chest. His right hand moved to the top of your head, trying to calm you down. At this point, you were grateful to have someone as caring and kind as Spencer as your boyfriend, but it wasn't helping. The more he tried to soothe you, the more tears came.

"Y/N, Spencer, go to my office." Hotch spoke as he walked toward the conference room.

You and Spencer did just that. You walked up to Hotch's office and shut the door while Spencer closed the blinds. The last thing you needed was people watching you break down. For the next 10 minutes, you cried. You gripped onto Spencer's shirt, letting all of your tears spill. You cried until you were certain that no more tears would appear. When you were sure that you wouldn't cry anymore, you and Spencer walked to the conference room. Your eyes were red from crying and your cheeks were puffy, but you didn't care.

"Please, ignore my face." You requested, seeing the team nod.

"The girl in the video...Alyssa. How do you know her?" Prentiss asked, leaning back in her chair.

"Alyssa is my best friend. She's been my friend since I met her when I was 17." You explained, trying to remain calm.

"Okay. Let's talk victimology." Hotch nodded.

"The victim here is clearly Y/N. This unsub is targeting people who know Y/N. The first person targeted was Reid, through the second letter. Then, Agent Jackson was killed. Finally, Alyssa's kidnapping. It's clear that whoever this person is, they don't care if they're targeting Y/N's best friend or her worst enemy." Rossi explained.

"So, this unsub doesn't care? I mean, Agent Jackson was an FBI Agent, right?" Derek looked at Hotch.

"I don't know. After Agent Jackson was reprimanded by Strauss, it was only the Brass and the director who knew if he was transferred or fired." Hotch shrugged his shoulders.

"It doesn't matter now. What matters is the fact that this unsub has confidence. They kidnapped and killed a possible FBI Agent and kidnapped the best friend of their true target. They don't care whether the person is a risk to take. They take who they want without fear." JJ rolled her eyes.

"I want to do a cognitive." You spoke up, confusing everyone.

"What?" Hotch asked, shocked.

"The only way we're going to be able to figure out who we're after is if I do a cognitive." You explained.

"Y/N, you're too close to this case. If we do something wrong, you might not be able to recover...emotionally." Penelope exhaled.

"I'm already suffering emotionally. My best friend was kidnapped and is being beaten by this monster! The only way we're going to be able to rescue Alyssa is if I do a cognitive. If you don't like that, then bad luck." You snapped, glaring at each member of the team.

"If Y/N wants to do this, then she should be able to. Right now, she's our best and only lead." Spencer agreed with you.

"Fine. But if at ANY point, the cognitive or the case become to hard to handle, you let me know and I'll be happy to let you distance yourself." Hotch insisted.

"Sure." You nodded, understanding Hotch's response.