22. No longer a mystery

Derek was shocked by the fact that Spencer had a woman in his life and didn't want tell him about her. Sure, he had spent 5 years teasing him relentlessly about not being able to find a girlfriend, but his teasing was never meant to actually offend or insult Spencer. He was only joking...mostly.

So, when he was having to sneak around behind Spencer's back just to find out who the mystery woman was, he felt horrible. Had he really offended his best friend so much that he couldn't be trusted with the knowledge of who he was dating?

"Hey, kid. You know you can tell me anything right?" Derek looked up at his best friend, who had been staring at the wall for a good 20 minutes. Whether he was thinking about the large stack of paperwork on his desk, or the mystery woman, Derek didn't know.

"Yeah. I know." Spencer nodded, seeing the sincerity on Derek's face.

"So, you'd tell me if you were dating anyone?" Derek leaned back, carefully studying his friend's facial expressions and changes in his behaviour.

"Yes, I would, Derek. But there's nothing to tell, because I don't have a girlfriend." Lie. Both Spencer and Y/N looked at each other. For the sake of keeping their relationship a secret, Y/N had to pretend to be shocked.

"You don't have a girlfriend yet? What are you...like 30?" Y/N joked and Spencer almost lost it. All he wanted to do was pull Y/N up from her chair and press his lips to hers, showing the entire bullpen that he had indeed found the woman of his dreams. But, that wasn't an option, at least, not until Y/N felt comfortable to tell people.

"Okay, ouch. I'm 27." Spencer rolled his eyes.

"She's right, y'know. In 5 months, you'll be 2 years from being 30. If you don't get a girlfriend by the time you're 30, you're doomed to be alone forever." Derek joked.

"What about you, Derek. Aren't you what...37 now? You don't have a girlfriend. Doesn't that mean you're doomed to be alone forever?" Prentiss smiled.

"I'm intentionally a single man. I prefer the life of a bachelor. As for Spencer, I can tell that all he wants is to find himself a nice woman to settle down with." Derek shook his head.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say." Y/N laughed, turning on the muscular man.

Just as Y/N turned around, she could feel her stomach growling, basically demanding food.

"Hey, uh, is anyone else hungry?" Y/N asked.

Within minutes, she had everyone's lunch orders written down. She stood up and grabbed her purse, preparing to leave.

"I'll go with you. It's not going to be easy bringing lunch back, considering what some people on our team order." Spencer glanced at Derek and Rossi, both of whom rolled their eyes and chuckled.

Just like that, both Spencer and Y/N walked toward the elevator, starting some obscure conversation about Star Trek.

As soon as Y/N and Spencer exited the building, they stopped talking about Star Trek.

"Spencer...are you alright?" Y/N stopped walking, noticing the silence radiating from Spencer.

"Y'know, We've been together for almost 3 months and no one knows about us. Not even my mother. I write her a letter every day and not once have I mentioned you." Spencer stopped walking.

"If you want to tell your mother about me than do it. I'd love for her to know about me. But...it's the team that I don't want to tell yet." Y/N smiled, holding his hand.

"I know. It's just that Derek has been teasing me about finding a girlfriend for 5 years and now that I finally have a girlfriend, I can't even tell him. All I want to do is walk into the bullpen with your hands in mine. I want to place sweet kisses on your lips without worrying that someone is around. I want to finally introduce you to people as my girlfriend." Spencer exhaled.

"How about this. In 3 months, you can tell whoever you want. Derek, JJ, hell even Hotch. When we've been dating for 6 months, you can finally announce to everyone that I'm your girlfriend." Y/N smiled, turning to face him. She held his hands and watched as a gentle smile appeared on his face.

"You promise?" He leaned closer to your face.

"I promise, Spencer Reid." Y/N nodded. Within seconds, Spencer's lips gently touched Y/N's as they enjoyed the sweet moment. Their lips moved in sync, like they were pieces of a puzzle fitting perfectly together.

And that's when Derek Morgan decided to look outside the window in the conference room. He was taking a short 5 minute break from his work and that's when he saw it. He watched with shock as Y/N and Spencer were standing on the footpath, probably 25 ft from the entrance to the building. Their fingers were intertwined and they were kissing. It wasn't a simple peck on the lips. No. It was a kiss of passion, like they had just finished an intense conversation.

Derek couldn't believe what he was seeing. His best friend was locking lips with Y/N. He needed to blink. He needed to figure out if what he had just watched was real, or a figment of his imagination. But, as he blinked, the kiss between Y/N and Spencer was over. They pulled away and went back to walking down the pathway toward the parking lot that rested near the entrance to the FBI Academy campus. That's when the realisation hit. Spencer had been lying to him the entire time. He really did have a girlfriend. In fact, his girlfriend works with him and sits at her desk directly next to his. Derek was surprised. Most shocked, but a bit surprised. Spencer's girlfriend was Y/N.

"Let's get lunch. I'm starving." Y/N smiled, starting to walk off, with Spencer quickly catching up to her.