15# Our Kind of Love

Song: Our Kind of Love- Lady Antebellum.
Dareen
"Daz, your phone is ringing." Christina yelled from the kitchen.
"I'm peeing! Who is it?" I called out.
"Elliot!" She answered already standing behind the bathroom door.
"Just a second!" I said quickly flushing the toilet before washing my hands.
"Ohh.." She laughed at my rush as I snatched the small device out of her hand.
"Hey!" I pressed it to my ear as I walked towards my bedroom with her hot at my heel.
"Dareen, hi! How are you today?"
"I'm good." I smiled like a fool as I slammed the door at Chris' face. She's so curious!
"Okay, miss!" She yelled from behind the door.
"What about you? How are things at home?" I asked leaning in to look out of the window.
"I'm actually calling to ask if you can go out with me. I'm taking Alice out, but I need someone with me, so..."
"Sure!" I shouldn't have said it that quick. Now I sound so clingy!
"Really? Thank you so much! I'll pick you up in thirty minutes, okay?"
"Okay." I giggled already hanging up. "We're going out! We're going out!" I yelled running to the kitchen.
"Uh-huuh, you'll leave us to do the cleaning." Harry teased.
"Don't clean up, but take Picky for her walk."
"Ughh!" Christina rolled her eyes.
"Guys, please." I nearly begged.
"Okay, go and I'll take care of everything." Harry chuckled.
"You're the best!" I clapped my hands in excitement.
"Let's pick something for you to wear." Christina shooed me to the bedroom.
--------
Elliot
"You'll be a good girl, right?" I asked Al as we waited for Dareen.
"Mhumm!" She nodded eagerly making me chuckle.
"Oh, here.." I whispered to myself as Dareen came to full view.
Getting out of the car, I smiled at her.
"Good morning." She cheered giving me a friendly hug.
"Good morning." I grinned pulling away.
"How are you, little princess?" She smiled at Alice who was watching us from the back seat.
"Good morning." She looked at me to see if that's the appropriate answer, so I just shook my head. I don't like the fact that she knows dutch, but no english.
"Try again." I told her.
"I'm fine, thank you." She read my lips moves making Dareen giggle.
"Oh my God, she's so sweet." Her eyes widened in excitement.
Well, she's a kid, so she acts like them.
"Let's get going." I suggested openning her door.
"Thank you." She smiled at me.
"Where do you want to go?" I asked her.
"Anywhere you want." She shrugged.
"There's a place with a garden where kids play, and we would eat and enjoy our time."
"Alright! That would be perfect, actually." She smiled nodding.
------
"I want to play there." Al pointed at the swing in the garden.
"Okay, but don't go too far." I warned helping her off the chair.
Slowly, she walked to the swing, and started playing with the kids.
"She's lovely." Dareen whispered.
"Yeah, she's so angelic. I don't know, but I feel more protective over her. I feel like she's a part of me." I shook my head.
"She is." Dareen smiled as the waiter approached with our dishes.
"Al!" I waved at her to come over, and she got the hang of it quickly.
Lovely girl with a pretty mind, they say.
"I want to play there, Elliot."
"Eat then go. You know my rules." I said making her sigh dramatically.
"Would you like to eat with me?" Dareen smiled.
"I don't like eggs." She declined.
"Ohh..." Dareen giggled as I hooked the napkin to Alice's t-shirt.
"Open up." I instructed as I raised the fork to her rose lips.
"It's so hot!" She frowned shaking her head.
"It's not anymore." I ressured feeding her some beans.
"What's your name?" She turned to Dareen.
"I'm Dareen." Dareen answered with a smile.
"My name is Alice." She introduced herself.
"Are you enjoying breakfast here, Alice?" At that, Alice nodded eagerly.
"Eat this." I suggested handing her a slice of french toast.
"She won't shut up." I whispered to Dareen.
"I love her for that." She giggled making me shake my head.
"I can't eat anymore. Can I go, now?"
"No, not until you finish that. Let's show Dareen how good you are." I said sternly making her huff.
"I finished." She repeated.
"Good girl. You can go." I smiled helping her off the chair.
"You two have a very good bond." Dareen commented. "I believe that you'll be a very good father." This- made my heart race.
"You think so?"
"No one can have the strength of raising a child and taking care of another at such a young age, especially if they're not your kids in your first place. I mean, you could've given up on your brother, but your kind heart and responsible character made you feel like you have to do it. A father can't be any better." She whispered with a smile.
"Sometimes, I feel like a failure when Ethan makes mistakes."
"Everyone makes mistakes." She dismissed.
His attempt to rape you was not a small mistake. I'm such a failure.
Al's cries dragged my attention. Oh my God, she fell off the swing, and I didn't pay attention for her.
Pushing my chair back, I ran to the garden picking her up.
"Oh dear, don't cry." I frowned walking back to Dareen who was standing up, and waiting for me with concern etched on her face.
"Baby, where does it hurt?" I asked alice as I kneeled in front of her as she sat on the chair.
She just pointed to her knee. When looked down, I found an abrasion.
"Calm down, Elliot. I have bandages and alcohol to disinfect it." Dareen said looking for them in her bag.
"Alice, darling, this will hurt just a little bit, okay? I will make it quick." She bent over spraying alcohol on the wound making Alice cry harder.
"No no no! Alice, pretty girls don't cry." She frowned kissing her forehead before putting on the bandages.
"Will you give me a hug, now?" Dareen opened her arms making Alice smile through her tears and hug her.
"Oh- thank God you're here." I smiled at her.
"It's okay." She smiled.
"You'll be a good mother." I told her.
"No one told me that before, but I love kids. They are the best." She giggled pulling Alice closer to her chest.
"I want Fro-yo!"
"Do you like it, Dareen?"
"Actually, I've been craving it for over a week." She giggled as she blushed furiously.
"Let's go, then."
--------
"See you soon, Alice." Dareen waved at her as she got out of the car. I did the same to walk her to the door.
"It was a lovely day, thank you." I smiled at her.
"No, you thank you. It was perfect, and I felt like a kid again. Alice is so cute, too. I enjoyed her company as well. You know, I felt special." She blushed breaking the eye contact.
"You're special to me." I whispered holding her hand. "May I hug you?"
"Uh- sure." She smiled as I wrapped my arms around her, and she did the same.
Her scent was like chocolate and flowers, and she felt so cozy in that cold day. I wanted this moment to last longer than that, but she had already pulled away.
"See you tomorrow."
"See you." I sighed letting her go. I watched her as she ascended the stairs before joining Alice once again.
"I like Dareen." She told me.
"She likes you, too." I smiled.
"She likes you, too." She repeated. "Alice, don't start with mocking me." I warned making her giggle.
I wish that she wasn't just mocking me.
I wish that her words were true.
I wish that Dareen loves me just as much as I love her. Oh God, I don't understand how I got attached to this girl that quick.
"Who's that?" I mumbled to myself as I saw Linda talking to a stranger. "Alice, get inside, and I'm going to follow you." I said helping her out of the car.
"Okay." She nodded running inside as I locked my car before walking towards the back garden where Linda was talking to the man.
"Linda," I called out dragging her attention.
"Come here, Elliot." She smiled extending her arm for me. "Meet sir Joseph, he's our new neighbour. That's Elliot, you can say that he's my son." She introduced us.
"Nice to meet you." I shook his hand.
"The pleasure is all mine." He smiled shaking my hand.
"Please join us for some coffee."
"Maybe another day. I have an appointement in half an hour, so I should get going." He declined. "Nice to meet you, and of course we will make some plans soon enough." He smiled shaking our hands again.
"Sure." I nodded.
"Bye bye." Okay, so he was actually talking to Linda not me.
Should I leave them or what?
"Bye." She smiled waving at him as he walked away.
"We should get inside." I told her, and she nodded walking with me.
"He looks like a good guy." I smiled.
"Yeah." She nodded blushing.
"Wait, are you blushing?" I faked a gasp pulling on her arm as she rolled my eyes.
"No, it's just too hot here."
"Linda, it's snowing!" I chuckled maling her blush harder.
"Still!" She rolled her eyes again walking away from me.
"Mommaa!" I yelled following her to the kitchen.
"Were you calling me?" My 'mother' asked stepping in the kitchen.
"Uh-" I looked over at Linda awkwardly.
"Yeah, we wanted to know what would you want for dinner."
"We're going out. Make whatever you want." She shrugged turning around.
"Why did you come here, then?" I dared to ask making her stop in her tracks.
"What?"
"If you came to New York just to hang out with your husband then don't act like you came to check up on us!"
"I did! or else I could've stayed at any hotel!" She protested.
"But you won't find babysitters for Alice in those hotels." I snapped.
"How could you think so low of me? I'm your mother!" She furrowed her brows as she glared at me.
"You're not!" I yelled.
"Elliot, enough!" Linda screamed hitting my arm in anger. "Get out of my kitchen!" She pointed at the door, and I rolled my eyes as I walk outside.
"I'm sorry for his behaviour, ma'am." She apologized.
"He's such a pain in the ass. I can't believe that he said that to me."
"He's just stressed. Please sit down till I get you some juice." I heard Linda telling her.
"Elliot, can we talk?" Ethan asked out of nowhere. Where did he come from?
"Is it something urgent?" I sighed.
"Yeah." He nodded.
"Come." I opened my door motioning for him to get in.
"What is it about?" I sighed sitting on the edge of my bed.
"I'm feeling tired constantly, and my chest hurts-"
"What? Since when? Where does it hurt?" My eyes widened as I stood in front of him.
"It's not physically, Elliot. I'm mentally broken. Till when are you going to ignore me, brother? Cause as much as I know, I can't sustain that feeling anymore."
"Do you really feel bad for doing it? Ethan, I don't enjoy doing that. I'm really sick and stressed and all I need is a brother. I need a man not a male. When you understand the difference, I will know that you're all grown up and mature."
"I know the difference. I swear to make you proud from now on. That- was a mistake that will never happen again."
"Promise me?"
"I promise." He nodded with a smile.
Openning my arms, I gave him a very tight hug.
"Boy, you're my brother, bestfriend and son. I promise to get your back at all times." I mumbled.
"I'm sorry." I sighed pulling away from me.
"Actions, young man." I chuckled as the door flew open.
"What are you doing?" Alice narrowed her eyes.
"Nothing. Come here you little monkey." I chuckled as she jumped in my arms.
"What did you do today?" Ethan smiled running his fingers through her hair.
"We ate breakfast, and I played. Look!" She pointed to her knee.
"What's this?" He frowned.
"I fell, but it doesn't hurt anymore." She shrugged.
"What else did we do?" I asked making her stand on the bed.
"We ate Fro-yo with Dareen!"
"Who's Dareen?" Ethan looked at me nervously when he heard the name.
"She's my new colleague at work."
"Just a colleague?" He teased.
"Maybe a friend?" I shrugged.
"Only a friend?" Alice giggled.
"Yes, monkeys! Will both of you leave so that I can work a bit, now?" I rolled my eyes, and in no time, the two monkeys stepped out of the room.
Yeah, they're monkeys.