Chapter 51 : Hour of Blessing

The room was chaotic, the bedding untidy. The carpet had been trodden in and out with great rapidity; a few crumpled sheets of paper lay here or there — all these shreds of evidence were plain to be seen that some violent excitement had taken place within its walls.

When Asean arrived, he had to call the leaders together into one group for an explanation: but when he asked them what they could tell him about this disorder, no one seemed able to account for it.

Brunei sat with his back against a wall and stared at the floor. He was not crying; he did not seem to be in pain or distress of any kind. But there were tears on his face—tears that had been shed by someone else.

Vietnam Looked at him with pity and turned to Asean. “Can you ask Philipia to see Brunei? She doesn't have to be alone with him.”

Asean looked at Vietnam and saw the earnestness in his eyes. Vietnam never asked for anything, the last time he asked Asean a formal request was a long time ago when he wanted to marry his lover, Lotus, for real. Of course, before the wedding even took place, Lotus disappeared.

“Is it the effect of the Line?” Asean asked.

Malaysia explained, “Brunei's probably the latter type where he'll go insane unless we fulfill one of his requests, otherwise he may never recover.”

Indonesia hissed as a steward bandaged his arm and shoulder. Even though he wasn't late and immediately handled the situation, he was still hurt and beaten. A man crazy in love can be terrifying. The look in Brunei's eyes was enough to give Indonesia nightmares for several weeks.

“Where's Philipia?” Singapore asked as he twist his hand. Brunei almost broke it when he was struggling. He even tore his gloves! Unbelievable, that was made with precious leather!

Asean replied, “Upstairs. She's with Laos right now, eating. She hasn't eaten anything on the way here and didn't have the chance to enjoy the meal.”

Vietnam looked down, his thoughts unknown. He had a lot to think about and not much time in which to do it; the night was ending, and the sun would appear on the horizon by now. It would be midnight soon—and then what? Would they try again tonight or wait until tomorrow morning? He looked at Brunei as ever. The man's face showed no emotion whatsoever and Vietnam found himself wondering if he could ignore him without feeling any guilt over doing so. Could one ignore another person with impunity when the other did nothing more than sit there staring out of eyes unblinking?

Perhaps, perhaps not... but surely, this man did not deserve some sort of punishment for what he'd done. And yet, how exactly were you supposed to punish someone like Brunei? Punishment wasn't something that came easily to Vietnamese people. The man was simply, madly in love.

For some leaders, the disappearance of the symbol when in Line can have different effects. The others wouldn't feel anything, although they'll feel unhappy or depressed for a while, it wasn't a big problem. Others would feel a lifetime of sorrow, their despair could kill them, and they wouldn't be able to work or go about their day-to-day life. But the rarest one was like Brunei, their mood often becomes dangerous, and they'll turn unpredictable and indiscriminately kill whoever is in their way, even themselves. It would take a long time for them to recover, unless the person, whom they chose to be in Line, fulfill one of their wishes. But it's tragic if the person died and they'll die as well. It's as worse as the soul collision; of course the soul collision's worse where you'll lose your senses, your emotions, and your feelings if something bad happens.

Vietnam looked at the leaders in front of him and quietly slipped away, intending to look for Lotus himself. As he arrived at the stairs, two sets of footsteps resounded from above.